Does any body have experience with Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with HSP six months ago after being quite unwell. It started with a pin-prick like rash and I was treated with Prednisolone for around three months (and now I'm three stone heavier!) but it all came back once the course was stopped.

Now I'm on Methotrexate which is very good at keeping the symptoms at bay but it makes me vomit a lot.

I have had kidney problems but it seems like it's all getting better and it's all being monitored by blood tests.

The main problem for me now is the ulcers that have been left on my legs. I have one large ulcer on each ankle, and they both get infected regularly (once a fortnight) it's like they just get infected as soon as the Flucloxicillin (antibiotic) course ends. None of the doctors seem to know what to do about it; which dressings to use, creams etc....the nurses I see do their best but this is such a rare illness I'm pretty sure they haven't seen this before.

If anybody has any advice I would be so very grateful! 

Thanks for reading xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

are you able to go to an actual "wound clinic"  I'd be surprised if a real "wound clinic" hasn't seen this before, or at least some form of vasculitis.  Most people/places have that specialize in it.  You might want to look at getting a few second oppinions.  

wish I was more help.  

• Posted

Which country are you in? If you search for messages with my name you'll find details of all the things we've tried.

• Posted

Prednisone causes immunosupression, which means you ill be prone to infection in that duration. Try to not take it for more than 3-4 days, of course, in consultation of your doctor. 

They say it is self-limiting but rare disorder. 

But the flres up causes problems depending on the age of the sufferer. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.