I am insulin resistant due to PCOS and am struggling with my weight.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago or more. Recently I went to the doctors with various issues I thought were non related. I have been struggling with my weight for the past few years and had no idea that it was related to my PCOS. As it turns out I am insulin restistant and am on the verge of developing type 2 diabetes if I don't get it under control. There is talk of putting me on metphormin to help and I have been advised that I should be sticking to a Low glycemic diet. It's all a  bit overwhelming if I'm honest and I'm terrified of not being able to get a hold of it. Have any of my fellow PCOS sufferers been through anything similar and have a words of advice? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Caterina, I am suffereing from Pcos as well but i have advice. When i was Diagnosed with pcos I was weighed in at 200lbs, Everyones body is different. Doctor told me you have too fight aggressivly with Diet and exercise The pcos is like my motivation and everyday I stay aggressive. Changed my whole eating habits cut out Starch, Breads,Rice, Chips,Candy,Cupcakes the whole nine yards. I drink Bottled water throughout the day, eat almonds as a snack, Fruits, for breakfast a Boiled egg,oatmeal, dinner Chicken or fish with Broccoli, spinach but whatever you prefer. It has been reducing symptoms i feel very healthy like its not even there, you have more energy, Sex drive is normal sorry lol, but you must fight this ! Dont just sit their it wont do any good you would just become more ill. Heres another tip. If there are times like after work you go home thats a good time too put in some Workouts. Weights to work out your muscles, Ab workouts such as Crunches goal is 20, 20 squats with a dumbell, just search workout videos on youtube to help. Ive been doing in home workouts and also walk around like the park or lake 2miles. And been dropping weight like crazy. Hope this helps get well Stay Strong Fight🙂 youll get through this

• Posted

Thank you so much Natasha. 

Your reply is extremely helpful. I will most deffinitely look into the home work outs. Will need to get myself a dumbell. Could you recomend a particular weight? 

As for the diet tips also great help thank you. 

It's going to be a long and hard road ahead but as you said I need to use the PCOS as fuel to do something about it. 

Thank you so much for your advice, I really do appreciate it so much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.