Ruptured my left Achilles on 18 October 2016

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've read through a lot of post, so I decided to post my story and progress. I ruptured my left achilles playing football (felt like someone kicked me squarely in my tendon) dropped me to the ground. I said to myself, this isn't good. Finished work and decided to go to urgent care, they put me in a boot and set me up for an ortho consult. A week later the ortho doc says I ruptured my achilles and he scheduled me for surgery (Nov 3). After seeing ortho doc went to no weight bearing. Had surgery (outpatient) woke up with my leg in a splint, stayed in splint for 3.5 weeks and then regular cast for 2 weeks. I started physical therapy on 15 Dec. Now details post surgery. My uvola was irritated from the breathing tube insertion during surgery (pretty common occurrence ). It took about 3 weeks for it to return to normal. Try sucking on ice and reducing speaking until it's back to normal. If you're prescribed pain meds, take sparingly if possible as they cause major constipation .

Currently I'm in a walking boot and I can weight bear on my repaired tendon for about 5 seconds, (standing only on left leg). My PT gave me stretching exercises to do 3 times a day. I'm back at work but I try to limit my walking, doc says we are still in repair protection mode. I will continue to post my progress.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did your doctor suggest surgery or did you choose it?

Do you wear the boot 24/7 and how did you treat your incision?

• Posted

Hi Nate,

My doctor (former Navy Doc), really recommended strongly to guard against re-rupture. Only wear boot when walking, I rake it off as soon as I get home from work to give my foot a break ( still experiencing swelling). I don't have to wear it too bed.

• Posted

Mines popped 8/16 and surgery done 8/22 was in boot 6 days when injured. Splint 17 days after surgery back in boot 6 weeks full weight bearing with boot only. Started PT 2x week just 3 weeks after surgery and currently every other week. Able to dance but no running and or jumping just yet hopefully next month as I need to lose the 14 lbs gained since injury. Swelling in ankle socks is my only issue otherwise wearing sock that goes past incision. Hope I can play ball again but at age 48 maybe take a year off. 
    • Posted

Hi Heck,

Yeah I understand about the weight gain based upon lack of mobility. I changing my diet to curb the extra weight gain (10lbs too late).... At 52, I have sold my cleats - new wedge smile

• Posted

Yeah my surgeon wants me in walking boot for 8 weeks. PT 1x per week, just started.
    • Posted

Sure did every two weeks a wedge was removed. Truth is there was only one wedge all along. 
  • Posted

SgtMaj,

sorry to hear about your injury. I ruptured at Crossfit on 29 Jul, minimally invasive surgery 2 Aug. Week in stiff splint, then 7 in boot, progressive weight bearing started around week 5. Agree with your counsel on pain meds. I was only on for a couple days, then Tylenol. PT 2x per week, exercises. At this point I have recovered range of motion and most of the flexibility. Strength in foot and toes (surprisingly) really compromised during immobilization. Calf muscle looked silly. Working through regaining strength in all the lower leg/foot muscles. Still have some minor swelling around ankle, and the weakness inhibits normal gait. 

I found progress to be frustratingly slow. Better progress week to week now.

Best wishes for complete and speedy recovery. Complete, though, is more likely than speedy!

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the well wishes.... I concur about swelling and loss of calf muscle. (Noodle-like), but I will push myself - but not over do it. Continued success in your recovery. ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.