Just been diagnosed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I wondered if anyone who has pcos could perhaps give me some information or share their experiences. I have just been told I have pcos due to a load of blood test results that have come back my female hormone level is very low apparently 8.2 and the male one is high. I have an ultra sound scan tomorrow afternoon on my ovaries so should know a little more after that. I haven't had much luck in finding out about the hormone levels online however I wasn't sure if 8.2 is extremely low or what it should be? Also does anyone else suffer from a very swollen stomach?

I am new to this all so any info would be very appreciated.

Thank You - Lisa

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Having a higher level of male hormones is a very common problem with PCOS. It's actually the excess male hormones that ause weight gain especially in the abdomen because when men gain weight that is usually the first place the do. 

I myself was diangnosed about 5 years ago but am only recently learning of all the complications that can come with it. 

I found researching PCOS online was more helpful than asking a doctor about it because the seem to leave a lot of information out unless you bring an issue to their attention. Most of the time you don't because you have no idea that issues are actually related to it. 

If you have any other questions I would be happy to share my knowledge and help as much as I can. 

I understand how difficult it is when you don't really know what you are dealing with. 

All the best

Cat 

• Posted

Thank you Cat for your reply.

Do you know what your female hormone level was when you was diagnosed?

I've now been told I have no cysts on my ovaries but still have pcos as I have the other symptoms. Little confusing

Lisa

• Posted

They didn't actaully tell me what my hormone levels were when I was diagnosed. I went for a scan of my ovaries where they found fluid built up on the right side and both were covered in small cysts. I'm told that the folicles are not actually cysts by deffinition. 

Once they did that I had some blood test, I'm guessing to check my hormone levels but they weren't very good at explaining it. The results came back and they just told me it confirmed that I have PCOS. Doctors are a bit pants at really explaining thing properly at times unfortunately. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.