Just started and jittery madness!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all

I only started this last week and the jittery feeling the next day is beyond belief. It's like I've had 3 coffees and uppers. I feel almost like I shouldn't be driving. Hoping to hear if others have had this and how long it lasts. I don't feel safe with it- outer body and awful. Anyone else had this experience please?thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Melissa

?Amitriptyline does not suit every patient but it usually takes about 3 weeks to settle down in your system and sometimes initial side effects disappear apart from dry mouth and feeling tired next day. But you are right not to drive if you are feeling 'spaced' out'. If you read the leaflet that came with the tablets it will tell you there. If things don't settle down within 2/3 weeks see your Doctor again for advice. What dose are you on - 10mg? What reason are you on Amitriptyline for?

?I hope you start to feel better soon and are able to have a good Christmas

• Posted

Thanks so much. I actually rang my dr and told him and he advised me to not take it at all last night then just 1/2 tonight. I was taking 20mg. It's for depressive bipolar and anxiety.

My gut feeling is it's not one for me. Thanks for replying. 😊

• Posted

HI melissa

?Thanks for giving me that info. This drug has been round for over 30 years and has been used for depression, anxiety and anything else GP's can think of because it is cheap on the NHS. It is high time they stopped using it. It does have one saving grace in that it has been proven to help neuropathic pain which is why I was put on it. By 3 weeks I had a very rare complication indeed and had to stop immediately. The side effects of coming off it were not at all nice. There are so many alternatives out there for Bi-polar and if you read past posts on this forum you will gather that when given for anxiety it seems to increase it, not diminish it. You seem to be one that reacts to it as an Upper, not a Downer. So pleased you spoke to your GP and so take the advice to cut down slowly (even though you have not been on it very long) and hopefully your GP will have a more sensible drug to put you on. My Father had your problems and back in the old days the only drug they seemed to use was Lithium. Avoid this at all costs, it turned him into a zombie, burying his wonderful personality and sense of humour. Yes, they still use this too! You may find help on a different forum for Bi-polar sufferers - I haven't looked for it but I am sure there will be one. I do hope that you can research all you need to be fully informed so that when offered a certain drug you will know its benefits and downsides. Just Google it all.

I wish you well 

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. My dr is a psychiatrist and I feel like he is trying everything. My brother and daughter have both responded well

To Prozac. I may suggest this. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.