recently diagnosed bipolar ii

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I also have major depression and severe panic and anxiety disorder. The have me on lamotrigine,buspar,ativan,and recently added lithium, but I am not sure lithium is for me

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ann,

It probably seems like a lot of medications however. if they work you could feel like a new woman. Sometimes it takes a lot of tweaking to get the correct amount of meds.done wonders foe me. Of course everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

One of the things that helped me agree to take Lithium is that it has been used for 40-50  years and is a naturally occuring element on the Periodic Table, # 3.  I hope that you get your medications adjusted soon and are feeling better.

Speaking from person experience Lithium has

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I started to answer earlier and had some sticky keys on the computer. I wanted to tell you that for me, Lithium has done wonders. I have the same diagnosis as you with the exception of Chronic Fatigue Disorder. In the early days of diagnosis it can seem overwhelming, especially the amount of pills prescribed.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist for the prescriptions or an GP? Psychiatrists can really work to give you the right amount of necessary drugs. However you are the one that can tell best what is working or not.  Simple things like the time of day you take your meds can really affect you.

Please don't be turned off Lithium because of the necessary blood work. In the beginning they monitor you closely, but once things are stablized bloodwork is just a few times a year.

I wish you well. Hopefullly you are not too bummed out by your recent diagnosis, hat can be rough. This is a good site to get support.

• Posted

The problem with the lithium is I am having headaches nearly very day since I started it, bad dry skin, lips, and hair, no matter how much moisturizing, it's making my panic attacks return, and I feel like I am watching the world around me as i lay on the couch all day.

• Posted

It sounds like Lithium is not the mood stabilizer of choice for you. We are all different and fortunately there are a variety of drugs you can try. Please be patient with yourself if your doctor doesn't hit the right combination of drugs. I started a habit several years ago, that has proven very useful. I use a chart found on line (mood tracker) and fill it out each day - there is room for notes. If I have any reaction to the drugs I record it. The doc seems to appreciate the print out and I have been able to track my meds better.

I wish you well and hope those lithium headaches will leave you alone.

• Posted

Flippin' eck Ann your takin' way too many meds, just concentrate on one thing at a time, maybe sort the depression out first, good luck!

• Posted

Why do they think you need lithium? I'm BP2 and my doc never suggested lithium. Just lamotrignine, which I had to stop taking because of the side effects. I also have PTSD, major depression, DID, & anxiety attacks.

• Posted

If you feel like a med is not agreeing with you, go to the Doc and ask him to change it or evaluate it. You can have a blood test done for e.g. You don't have to take everything and anything they offer without question. 

In fact, question everything is my motto, but don't mess with your meds by yourself. 

• Posted

I hope you're still checking these posts. I was diagnosed with the same conditions. I would love to correspond. I was diagnosed a year ago. I'm on lamotrigine, gabapentin, and buspirone. It was working but not enough. I still struggle every day so I've considered lithium. How long have you been on it? Does it seem to be working for you now? I'm so desperate to get over these racing thoughts and constant anxiety attacks. I hope the meds are effective for you.

Thank you.

• Posted

I'm a newbie! I was dx with bp2 w/ severe depression, anxiety and panic. I've been taking lamotrigine 200mg 2x daily. I was also taking Pristiq in conjunction with that, along with Xanax and ambien for sleep. This combo seemed to work for many years. I did have breakthrough depression occasionally. Within the last year I've noticed my depression was coming back more frequently. Now I'm very depressed. My doc tapered the Pristiq and started Viibryd at the same time. It wasn't effective. So He had me stop the Viibryd and start Wellbutrin XL 150mg. I was feeling more anxious than before along with more panic attacks. So my doc had me stop the Wellbutrin and start Zoloft, which has made me a zombie.  I read that adding Wellbutrin with the Zoloft and of course the lamotrigine , worked for many people. Has anyone tried this combo, and if so what was your experience?  I'm kinda desperate ! Thanks in advance for the support

• Posted

I not sure if my text went through. I'm new at this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.