self urethral st dilation experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Father have urethral stricture. He take one in a week. Any body can suggest on it. What are the experiance about it and how long we can take it. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vik,

Apologies if I have misunderstood you. Your father has a urethral stricture, and has to insert a dilator of some kind once a week? You'd like to know the experiences of anyone in a similar situation, and how long he will have to do so?

If this is what you meant, he should ask his doctor - it may be that a short course of self-dilation will remove the stricture, but I think it is more common that self-dilation is a long-term solution. He'll just have to keep doing it. Once a week isn't so bad - I have to self-catheterise four times a day, because for reasons unknown my stricture is total - I cannot pee without inserting a catheter. If your father is new to self-dilation he may well be finding it uncomfortable or even painful, but it will ease, and he will get used to it.Make sure his dilator is appropriately lubricated. Get a doctor's advice - if it is too difficult, he may be able to use a smaller dilator, perhaps twice a week, for example, until he gets used to that, than move to a larger one less frequently. But check with his doctor! (I'm NOT a doctor, just someone who has to self-catheterise.)

I hope this helps, and apologies if I have misunderstood your original message. Best wishes to your father.

• Posted

If it is hard to explain in English, you could write in your own language and use Google Translate. Or just post in your own language and hope that one of us can understand! We're all fellow sufferers here and want to help each other.

• Posted

Thanks Colin,

Really it will help. I want to ask you like self dilation has any side effect like how long my father can use it. 

• Posted

I don't think there will be any side effects as long as your father is careful when he inserts the dilator. Always go very slowly, both inserting and removing. In my case, the urethra can become tender, especially around the sphincter; but inserting my catheter very slowly at that stage, perhaps only a few mm per second, will certainly ease the discomfort.

If you mean how long your father should leave the dilator inside, I am sorry i don't know - when I insert a catheter is is only in order to pee so I remove it as soon as I have finished peeing.I think there are other threads on this forum that do mention how long to leave a dilator inside. Your father's doctor should already have told him how long, but ask him again.

If you mean how long will your father have to repeat the dilation, it will depend on the severity of the stricture and whether short-term dialtion will permanently remove it. I had a meatal stricture last year, which was removed by dilation under anaesthetic and has not returned. But I am catheterising four times a day, which will help keep it open if there was a risk of it returning! But I was catheterising before the meatal stricture began, so I think it was the dilation which repaired the stricture.

• Posted

Hi colin79913,

How much time you used dilator like 6 months or 1 year. because my father using it from last 3 months.

• Posted

Nearly two years! I've been self-catheterising since February 2015, 3-4 times a day. They've given up trying to find the cause of my inability to pee without one, so it looks as if I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. I'm 59 now.

I'm very used to inserting the catheter now, and it is no more or less uncomfortable than it was when I started. Mostly, it is just very routine now, and I do it without thinking. In fact sometimes I forget whether I have done it or not (I have no sensation from the bladder telling me when I need to pee).

But I must admit I do go through phases of being really fed up with having to do this, of never ever having the option of having a day without it. Every day starts and ends with a reminder of my condition.

But it's not going to change, so mostly I just accept it!

• Posted

There is also another kind of dialation that a urologist does using a special balloon for dialation.  That procedure is supposed to last longer and having fewer side effects.
    • Posted

Hi glenn,

Can you please explain more about balloon dilation with images or any reference so we can understand full process. 

• Posted

Sorry my link didn't come through.  If you do a google search on [balloon dilation of urethral strictures], you should find a link with pictures.  I will also try to IM you a link.

My balloon dilation happend during a surgery (for an artificial sphincter) that had to be aborted because of the strictures.  So, I was not awake for the procedure.  From what I've read, the ballon dilation is less traumatic to the urethra than using othe dilators, such as medical sounds.

I am now in a the first month of of a three month wait to see if the dilation will hold for me so I can go ahead with the artifical sphincter procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.