colostomy stoma

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again.....well I had a colostomy placed on Dec 6th. was in the hospital 7 days . And boy this is an adjustment. But I will say this I don't have constipation any more. No more Linzess and miralax ,or enemas. I take a tablespoon of milk of magnesia everyday.I can now eat what I want except popcorn lol. Even though it will take time to get adjusted I'm glad I had that I had the surgery. No more bloating or using glove to pull out and nausea. I used to sleep sitting up from from shortness of breathe and bloating....now I can sleep lying down. I am grateful. This has been a 3yr journey.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear from you that "I don't have constipation any more". But, I am equally worried about your statement that "I take a tablespoon of milk of magnesia everyday". this is not to be taken on everyday basis. Once in a while it's alright but not regularly.

I used to have severe constipation about a year ago but I am completely off from it these days. I was put on laxatives as usual and they would not effect much on the intestines. on serious thinking, I got a remedy myself. Though I am not a qualified doctor to give you this advice, albeit would share this piece of information with you. the following are the points that I undertook in my regime.

1) at least 12 hours of fasting everyday.

2) having dinner before 7 p.m

3) reduce oily food and pickles.

4) not much spices and wheat based food.

5) have at least two hours of sleep to meal gap

6) having proteins in the night.

7) have 70 percent of stomach full.

8) have a mandate to drink 250 ml water twice, hour and half after meals (this reduces constipation drastically.) if you miss water after meals, the problem would multifold.

9) shall have to take water between two meals. wait for meals. consume water half-an-hour before having second meals.

10) reduce white floor, condiments, If possible reduce wheat things as well.

11) never have anything solid between meals...give sufficent time for the stomach to take care of digesting the earlier meals.

12) never take plenty of water, this aggravates constipation. having 2-2.5 liters everyday is more than sufficient.

this is what I practice and so let you know.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello ...like I always say every regime is different for each patient according to the reason it was prescribed that way. I do thank you for the reminders these things I did for the most part and then some. yes I take milk of mag everyday for now until my post op in 3weeks. As my intestines adjust to the stoma. my condition was very severe an I had nerve damage. I have shared this once before. I've been a medical assistant for 25yrs so I understand my treatment thoroughly. But I do thank you for the concern.

• Posted

Hi Denise.  I have suffered with chronic constipation for years now, but it's getting worse as I get older.  I'm now 52.  I can't go w/o straining some.  It's just not happening.  I have a horrible hemmi right now too.  ugh.   My question is what is the  colostomy stoma you had done?  It sounds wonderful, as I bloat so bad sometimes I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack!  thanks for sharing with us!  smile  SO glad it's giving you relief.

Terry

• Posted

Hello Terry....I had no choice but to get an end colostomy. the GI surgeon team met with my general surgeon and concluded there was little they could do for me. The nerve damage was irreversible. When I went into the Er for vomiting stool I'm grateful they jumped right on it to figure out what to do. they kept me in the hospital and tried several regimes released me then brought me back a week later and had me swallow a pill that had markers in it to see how quickly they traveled from stomach to small bowel to large intestine after 8 days the markers got to the decending colon and completely stopped. the pill had 24 markers in it. plus I had rectal prolapse with hemrrhoids which I had to have cut off once before. If I was to have it reversed I would have the same issues come back. So yes even though it's an adjustment I'm so very glad to now use a pouch and everyday I'm slowly getting use to it.

• Posted

and end colostomy is irreversible....it's permanent. I had the part of the colon that was not working cut out. And then the ascending end brought through the abdominal wall to form the stoma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.