I've recently stopped taking citaolpram for anxiety 20mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and started on amptriptyline 25mg at night, which I take when I think I won't sleep, if I don't take it, I am up during the night with leg pain and nerve pain in feet. I did feel happier in myself when I was taking the citaolpram. Now I cry at the drop of a hat and feel low. Weight gain is a worry as I've always been slim. Should I take both regularly? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

?Amitriptyline is good at combatting the type of pain you have but yes, you do need to take it regularly for it to work on both sleep and pain. It is not a sleeping pill as such but does aid sleep for some patients. You will need to ask your GP if it is alright for you to take both together. Amitriptyline was designed as an anti-depressant and as it is a very old drug the data shows that it helps deal with pain so is often used for this purpose. However, I do not think it will deal with low moods as many posts on this forum will attest. As for weight gain, part of this is up to you to monitor - you may feel more hungry than usual on it but try to stick to your normal eating patterns and take a little more than usual exercise as in walking etc. if you indulge in the 'Munchies' so to speak. Fibromyalgia allowing of course. Please talk to your GP about your fears and ask if you can go back onto Citalopram alongside Amitriptilyne. It may be best if you gave you a lower dose say 10mg at night to start with to see how you go. It does have side effects though which you need to be clear about by reading the leafet thoroughly and again talk this out with your GP.

?I very much hope you can get this sorted out and wish you well and happy over the Christmas New Year holidays.

• Posted

Thank you. I am still coming to terms with my condition and find it hard to accept that I'm not the person I used to be, as well as going through the menopause. I don't like the idea of being on permanent medication but reluctantly I have to admit I cope better with them as I don't want to give up my job. I see my condition as a weakness of character, which I have probably contributed too. My family and especially my husband, thinks this is rubbish and I should relent and take my medication as I cope better with it. Maybe I'm just stubborn. Everyday fibromyalgia throws something new at me to deal with and I am still blindly finding my way with it. Think I will see my g.p in the new year, although I do think doctors know very little about this condition. Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Agree a lot with much of what Elizabeth has said. I'm in a slightly similar situation my doc stopped my sertraline a ssri in favour of amitrpteline. Because the initial side effects were insomnia and ibs problems. The dose I'm on probably not high enough for anxiety and depression. Last time I was on sertraline I was on that for anxiety depression and amitrpteline for my ibs and sleep. It's early days for amitrpteline but my mood has dipped a bit depression wise I was getting better before I started this now feel I'm going back over. Doc said if I'm sleeping I might not need anything for depression. So wait and see I guess. Hope you get sorted soon this meds game is no fun! Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.