More compression on S1 nerve but less symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an MRI in September and it was confirmed that I had a herniated Disc 5mm at L5/S1 with compression on the S1 nerve. I have been doing decompression treatment, chiropractic treatment, physio and a specific exercise plan since. My symptoms are way less. Had a second MRI in November and had a radiologist compare both images from each MRI. He said now my herniation is 7mm and more compressed on the S1 nerve. I'm so confused! My pain and symptoms are much less. So why is the disc herniation worse?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds stupid but 1 or 2 things while the herniating is taking place it's so pain full but as it settles it becaomes less painful. Also yr body can become used to the pain so yr pain receptors shut of or turn down. Not explained well. Google it, it tells u this too. In the same position but just when u think he pain s subsided bang . Comes back with a vengeance welll it has with m unless mines something new. But last MRI was only 3 wks ago not much change from the one in October. Now scheduled for a op in the few yr .xx what is decompression treatment, as only now of a decompression op which I had 3 years ago ??

• Posted

Hello Jessica, please update us on how you are. V interested on your op. Did you have decompression?
    • Posted

I had first decompression 3 yr ago which resolved the siatic but having degenerative disc diease things have relapsed . Not had my 2nd op yet . Back this week to see consultant.
  • Posted

Hi I'm in a very similar situation to you, I had an MRI in July after suffering with sciatica for just under 2 years, I was diagnosed with a very large disc prolapse at L5 S1 with compression on s1 nerve the same as yours, so I started doing a couple of stretches and was pain free for 2 months. I then forgot I had a bad back and was messing about and my back went again at the beginning of November,  I was bed ridden for a whole week but after doing my stretches again was pain free, im left with a very slight limp and slight numbness at top back of leg and bottom back of leg, under ankle and baby toe, but could live with this. But when I went to see the doctor to find out just what the numbness meant he just kept talking about me having an operation which I really don't understand as I have no pain. I asked for another Mri scan to see if my situation had changed as I'm so much better than I was but he said there was no point as it can't get better even though I'm pretty sure the doctor I saw when I first got my results told me it could, so confused as the 1st doctor said that an operation would be a last resort if nothing else worked and that was when I was in so much pain and this one seems like he really wants to operate when I'm not in pain? What have the doctors said for you to do now your scan is showing its worse?

• Posted

Debbie where do you live can't understand he doctor!!!!!

I have s1\l5 and I have had this complaint for more years than I can remember.

Together with this I have also l4\l5 and l3/4. I have had decompression on l4/l5 some years ago nearly 10 actually and I have never got over the nerve pain of this to bother with any of the other discs.

So.... Have put a lot of weight on. The end of last yr my partner decided that I HAD to lose weight. I lost a stone in a month although a lot to go yet. But...I have had cortisone injection every 3 months and with my meds and cortisone have managed my weight problem.

I still have the door open to have my s1\l5 op but I am 73 and not sure whether its worthwhile at my age. BUT I feel so much better losing weight !!

• Posted

Hi Enna, I live in London, what about you?  

Sorry to hear you've had problems with so many discs, that must be awful, but well done for losing so much weight, I have read that weight can put a lot of pressure on your discs and if you lose weight that can really help so that is what I am going to try and do too and hopefully this will help.

So do you mean you have had an operation already 10 years ago and it's caused nerve pain? As this is what I'm really worried about, don't seem to hear many success stories after people have had an operation, they seem to have to keep having more. I asked the doctor will I get all the feeling back in my numb bits if I had the operation and he said he couldn't say, so what is the point if I'm not in pain? He did mention about this Cauda equina that could happen which has worried me a bit but I don't have any bladder or bowel problems? I think if your feeling better after losing weight, then I'd stick with doing that and see how you go

• Posted

Thanks Jessica that's exactly what I'm going to do, can't understand why he's saying about me having an operation? 

• Posted

If u go private yes if not the nhs pay the the consultant s . Every operation the consultants do they get paid from the nhs if not private. So when I put £ I meant the surgeon will be thinking of his pay packet .Realistically the surgeon would have to show very good cause for operation and also in my experience and that of others must are reluctant to operate with out very good reason. Defo get a second opinion

• Posted

Oh I see, think it's very strange that's all he spoke about, he even done the strength test on my leg which he seemed quite pleased with? Got to see him again in March which I'm now not looking forward to but I would definitely not have an op unless of course I was in a really really bad way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.