Dreadful colonoscopy experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy appointment today at the hospital. They admitted me explained everything about the procedure again and inserted a canula in my arm. They showed me where to change my clothes to hospital gown and made me sit at the treatment area. When they called me in, the nurse checked my details and asked me to turn on my left side then she inserted her lubricated finger then the camera into my anus pushing it up toward colon. When itreached the beginning of colon i felt extreme pain I got iv painkillers and sedation at this point as I was in excruciating pain. She proceded pushing the colonoscope more up and I couldn't handle the pain any longer. I asked if they could give me any other painkillers she said no they can't. So I had to withdraw from the procedure cos the pain got unbearable. It would have made a world of a difference if they put me to sleep but they refused. The nurse told me that itsnotuncommonthat some people just can't bear it! And that they might send me for a colon CT. I'm not sure whether that's gonna hurt or not but if that will be as painful as today's procedure than I better don't go. I kind of feel bad for this unsuccessful procedure. I can only just hope that everything is ok inside me..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi that sounds like a bad experience - and the nurse wasn't very sympathetic either. A bit of tlc goes a long way. I had a CT colonoscopy in October after a failed sygmoidoscopy. The CT scan is fine hardly at discomfort at all. Just very slight cramping but on a pain scale of 1 to 10 it's just a 1. I have to go Friday for a another sygmoidoscopy even though the first one was too painful to carry on!

• Posted

Hi 

horrid experience for you and my sympathies.  It's a really hard thing to have to go through and as the other post has said I don't think they were that empathetic with you.  I had sedation but other than feeling tiny bit tipsy I can't say it did much.  I think who does the colonoscopy makes a huge difference even the nurse holding your hand genuinely being sympathetic makes it much easier to bear as well.  Maybe your colon is a bit twisted in some places I've read that before or maybe she just rushed.  The corners are hard to endure and the air being blown in, you did well if you have to have the ct one done it'll be easier I reckon.  

• Posted

Two nurses were there: one who carried out the procedure and the other just sat by me. They wasn't empathetic at all! When I experienced the first wave of pain I tried to tolerate it but when it became constant I thought I was gonna jump off the bed lol. Yes, the gas and air only made me dizzy but didn't take the pain away at all! The other meds they gave didn't make a difference either it left me in too much pain. I will wait and see whether they will send me for an other test.

• Posted

Sorry about your bad experience....i have had 6 conventional colonoscopies over the years and never had any pain or trouble. Maybe it all depends on the skill of the doctor and the width and shape of your colon. The CT colonoscopy (which i have never had) is also known as a virtual colonoscopy (its NOT the little camera you swallow). With the CT virtual colonoscopy you still have to cleanse your bowel for the 2 days beforehand. A camera is NOT inserted into your colon but a small tube goes in your anus just for 2cm in order to put some gas in your colon .This is to expand the colon slightly so the scanner can get a good view of the nooks and crannies in your bowel. As already said in another reply i understand there is little or no discomfort with a virtual ct colonoscopty, but i don`t know if its as accurate as a regiular colonoscopy.....good luck!
    • Posted

Hi, thank u for replying. I have read several threads about the procedure and most people reported most discomfort at the prep but not during the actual procedure. I had the opposite experience; the prep was well tolerated but not the procedure. If they decide to send me for the alternative test i will make sure they give me adequate pain relief. Stronger than the ones I they gave during this one.
    • Posted

I think any procedure is a lot easier with the help of great nurses, I think you were unlucky there.    I couldn't tolerate procedures without their hand holding I go like a big baby having anything done.  Love to know if they've ever had a colonoscopy, that's what you have to think watching someone having it done, someone's shoes and all that.

• Posted

I would be surprised if they offer you any pain relief at all (except maybe a relaxant) for the virtual colonoscopy because nothing goes inside you.(except the gas to slightly inflate the colon).I am sure you will get on a lot beter with this kind of procedure. I have to have the regular colonoscopy every 2 years for the rest of my life so i am used to them.  As you said before i get on ok with the procedure itself but i hate the prep for the 2 days beforehand...thats by far the worst part for me...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.