Stopping Codeine advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

For some reason this has been posted in substance misuse but I'm not misusing. 

I take 30MG of Codeine a day for neck and jaw pain down to TMJ. I've realised that the Codeine is likely making my digestive system misfunction, i have trouble digesting food and read about something called Narcotic Bowel Syndrome, i basically have the symptoms of gastroparesis

SO, I would like to stop taking the Codeine to see if i feel better. I've been taking 30MG sometimes more for about nine years, and I'm sitting here now having not had any today and I don't have any heartburn or acid in my throat and I've not eaten anything unusual, just the normal stuff i get heartburn usually eating. I've had to take Ranitidine twice a day to cure the heartburn.

Can I just stop taking them or should i taper down? What should i expect doing each of these things? If the withdrawls are going to be rough should i just wait until after Christmas? I'm worried about ruining  my Christmas doing this! 

Any advice would be very much appreciated, 

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say I haven't needed to have any ranitidine today at all.

• Posted

I'd say if you're not feeling any withdrawal symptoms now, give it another 24hrs and see where you're at. But 30mg of codeine isn't actually that much, and you may be able to stop them without withdrawal.

What about your pain issues though? I'd suggest talking to your doctor about this as he'll be able to hopefully give you a non opiate to try if the pain is too much to to cope without any intervention.

Good luck, you seem to have the right attitude.

• Posted

Thank you smile

I'm down to 30MG from 60MG a day, so i think i've done pretty well already, i started to get my medication in a dossette box and my GP asked if i felt 60MG was too much in a day so i asked for 30MG to see how I went.

I have some magnesium spray I was going to try on my neck and jaw and taking Ibuprofen and paracetomol before I went to see my GP just in case it didn't work out I didn't want to upset the apple cart. The only concern I do have is that I suffer from Vertigo due to damage to my balance nerve and the codeine seems to calm down the spins. 

Thank you for your help Charlie-from-uk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.