My Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 CKD

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm looking for some suggestions on helping him with his diet.  He lives on his own and I help him grocery shop weekly and now we have a major change in diet and lifestyle.  I have a LOT to learn smile  He doesn't cook much and his go to is frozen dinners which is not good anymore.  I need some suggestions on meals that i can make him to freeze and quick go to foods that are ok to eat throughout the day.  Any input would be great!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There sites on the web for specific dietry needs including kidney failure. Your dad is probably under the care of the nephrologists, this department has dietitians available who would like the opportunity to give advice and guidance. Usually you can phone them for help, certainly they like to talk face to face and use the results of blood tests for extra specific guidance.  For myself, I used the Internet to find lists of foods high in potassium and phosphates to be avoided (or limited) and list of protein values to ensure I chose food that would fulfil daily requirements. It is not as difficult as it first appears! 

When you understand - it is quite easy really- have a chat with your dad and give him simple lists to refer to (for when he can face them).  Most of the ready meals I like don't have enough protein in them so I have to add something to them (fish, eggs, meat) to make up the required daily amount.

Good hunting. Stop worrying - treat it as a fun research project.

• Posted

What your dad can eat depends on his conditions. In general, he should limit protein intake and salt intake, and eat more fruits and vegetables. 
  • Posted

Before diet, remember that most meds have some effect on the kidneys. Before you start her any meds or supplements/vitamins, ask: "Does this impact the kidneys?"

Diet: Limit (as close to zero, as possible), protein; especially, animal protein. My mom is borderline stage 5 (it took 2 years to get here from stage 4), and she rarely eats beef.  She occasionally has chicken. And to give her an energy boost, she'll have some watered down chicken broth (homemade is best, but you can read labels and find some are significantly lower in sodium than others -- don't assume "low sodium" is really the lowest sodium broth out there).  I also give her vegetable broth, but of course, read the labels.  In the meantime, keep track of potassium.

Frozen is okay -- just read the labels. I try to find my mom frozen meals with sodium under 500 mg.    My goal is to keep her under 1200 mg sodium/day.  I find there is a Dr. Praeger California veggie burger she likes, so I serve that with some rice, pasta, or with salt-free bread.  There are some vegan mayos out there that add some kick to her sandwiches.  You may hear some complaints about salt-free bread, but you can mix it up with lavash bread or Thomas's bagel thins, both low in sodium.

Parsley acts as a diuretic. Make a batch of salt-free abbouli, heavy on the parsley.  If you don't want a lot of trips to the bathroom at night, then have limit diuretics to before 1 pm, or so. The earlier in the day, the better.

A standard meal is rice and steamed veggies.  My mom also likes fish, and I try to get her to eat salmon -- but eventually, she got tired of it.

Generally, breakfast is a sodium free toast or lavash or a bagel thin with a little bit of cream cheese or paneer cheese (low sodium) or lebni (with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of dried mint) . Sometimes, I'll add some fruit preserves.  She doesn't like oatmeal, but she'll have it, at times. Also, she ikes shredded wheat  (usually is low sodium) with a little bit of milk.

Lunch can be a salad sandwich  with a slice of swiss cheese(which is basically a veggie sandwich if you order it from Subway).  The lowest sodium salad dressing is usually raspberry.   Or, you can just do oil and vinegar.

Dinner is pasta  or rice with more veggies.  She also likes soups, which can be high in sodium, but you can water them down.  Celery can be high sodium, so limit that.  A variation topping for pasta is stirred yogurt with crush garlic and topped wih sumac spice (you can find it in Middle Eastern markets). If you add a couple of TBSP of broth on top, so it's almost soup-y, that can make it tasty.

He can usually have "tastes" of most food, but it's important to make them few and far between.

Good luck. He can stay at stage 4 (or even slip back to stage 3), if he is diligent.

• Posted

Hi I am also in stage 4, my egfr is around 22, but I am only 35 years old.

Just wish to ask your mum first diagnosed then what is her egfr? Also your mum no eat meat then enough energy to carry on daily life. Thank you

• Posted

The oldest record I found was a gfr of 22 back in August of 2015. It has gone up and down and now is 14. She is 82 and has other health issues, like AFIB and newly diagnosed heart failure. She will have red meat on occassion, but only if she has no other options or is really craving it. Her energy had improved a little because we stopped an afib Med that gave her hypothyroidism. I find b complex drops and iron supplements help give her energy.
    • Posted

14 and they put your mum into dialyssis ?

Your mum kidney function drop quite fast.

What the medication they prescribed ?

• Posted

Hi, My mom is quite old and suffered from high blood pressure for years. She will eventually need dialysis, but they say as long as she does not show symptoms, there is no benefit to beginning it.   That said, she will be prepped with a fistula, should that day come.  She no longer needs high blood pressure, so all she is on now is Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, Prednisone for Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Lasix (fursomemide) for the poor kidney function, Ulloric for a bad case of gout she had a couple of years ago a nd Lipitor. She also is on baby Bayer.  I give her calcitriol, iron, probiotics, b-complex, and omega-3, as well. 
    • Posted

Thank you.  Yes protein has to be limited, but not cut out.  Phosphorus, Potasium and Sodium are the items for him to stay away from.  He also said he can't have dairy milk.  So he started drinking Rice milk and now he thinks he can't have that so he has a call into his dietician to see what he can be using for cereal.

• Posted

Hi,

Does your Dad have a dietician, has he been told specifically to limit phosphate or potassium.  If not I would only change diet when told what to lower as if you lower phosphate and potassium and the levels are not high you can have too low levels and the outcome of low levels is just as drastic as too high.  When I was told to change my diet I was referred to a dietician in the renal unit who gave me printed sheets and told me what to eat and what to avoid and my bloods were checked regularly to ensure levels remained safe.  As you rightly say processed food is a definate no due to the salt levels, but healthy eating if blood levels are wrong is a no no also.  I low potassium diet is the most unhealthy diet I have been on and you would think healthy is better but not if your bloods say so.  Hope this helps a bit.  Do you know any of his blood results? Potassium of 5 is ok anything higher is bad and anything around 2 is too low.  Normal phosphate that is acceptable for CKD people is 0.80 if he has high phosphote he will know about it as he will itch like mad, don't worry if this happens you can take binders with food that help this.  If diet is changed and the level is normal it will go to low if it goes really low its IV treatment if around 0.55 its phosphate sandaz suppliments apparently tatse like lemonade, I have never tasted lemonade like that lol so I think that was just a best guess to get me to drink it lol.  Good luck and I hope you get a taylored diet for your dad soon.

• Posted

I don't know his levels since I am just starting to learn all of this.  I am hopefully going to meet with his dietician with him soon so I can understand more.  As my understanding right now is he needs to stay away from and/or limit Phosphorus, Potasium and Sodium.   I think I will learn more once I am able to meet with the dietician.

• Posted

Hi,

The ready meals are a no no then deffinately low sodium or not as they have high levels of everything he can't have.  His diet odly enough at this point though will be far from healthy. Your dietician will give you sheets and you will get to grips with it pretty quick once you get going.  For now avoid bannana's, cook veg and spuds well in water and drain the water don't use it to make gravy, avoid chocolate, nuts coke etc alot of things overlap with phosphate I was told anything brown so liver, beef things like that.  You don't have to avoid protien I was told it makes no difference my by neph as you leak orotien any way and you will neever have too much despite site on the internet contradicting this I guess the advice take what you read with a pinch of salt and list to your medical professionals.  I hope this helps for now and you will learn quick once you know what it what.

• Posted

When I was at stage 4 of CKD, I looked on the website for meals. You have to eliminate all high potassium foods including fruits and vegetables for example oranges and bananas are very high in potassium. Avocados, any beans, spinach,tomatoes and sauce, lentils and potatoes are very high, so avoid those foods. Orange juice is also high. Also you have to look at labels. So if any fruit or vegetable has a rating of 250 to 300 mg or more of potassium, it can harm the kidneys even more. Also look for phophorus levels, milk products are harmful, that includes cheese and yogurt. A kidney nutritionist should tell you what is proper. Protein is good, but I am unable to tell you how much because I am currently on haemodialysis and the kidney doctors tell you to eat a lot of protein especially eggs.

I hope this helps. Good luck

• Posted

I forgot to mention, he can have milk products as long as he takes a binder. The binder I take is called Renvela (sevelamer. carbonate). Most people take one but I take 2 when I eat cheese, milk, cocoa. Plus I take it if I eat any meat, chicken,or fish. I don't know what is called in the UK. It takes the phophorus out of your body. Fruits he can eat, but only a half of cup,canned plums,raspberry, strawberries, watermelon, pineapple grapes,grapefruit and blackberries. ONE cup of blueberry.

These has between 5 to 150 mg of potassium. Vegetables asparagus 4 stalks, one half a cup of green beans,cabbage, califlower,corn, cucumbers, these are between 5 to 150 mg of potassium. Occasionally, can eat items with 150 to 250 mg, 1 apple, 1 fresh peach,2, plums, one half cup of cherries, melons,papaya, canned peaches vegetables one half cup of.broccoli, beets,carrots, celery,mushrooms. Potato chips 10 oz, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. I hope this gives you some information on how to prepare meals.

I t is alot of information but I thought there are food he can eat. Also watch for salt intake. To much may increase swelling. Water , I am strictered. to only 4 cups of water, but ckeck with a nutritionist what is safe for your dad. Good luck

• Posted

One final message, I went on this kidney diet in stage 4 and it prevented me from going to the hospital and eventually haemodialysis for about one and a half years. I tried everything I could to prevent me going on haemodyalysis But one day I stopped eating those foods, and my creatinine shot up over 5.9.

I hope this helps

• Posted

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the occasional fast.  Just diluted juices for one day.  Once a week, perhaps?  Would this give kidneys a chance to "rest?"

• Posted

hi john

my nephrologist didn restricted my water intake.

u mean u stop eating all those unhealthy stuffs then your creatinine also shoot up?

• Posted

It all depends on your health and your body. I retstricted. my diet because my stage chronic kidney disease (ckd) was worse than most individuals. I was leaking water out of my legs everyday. My shoes would be wet and my socks were drenched with water. I was suffering from claudication which meant I would get calf spasms in he back of my legs when walking. My blood pressure could not be controlled. by medication. I took predisone , it should have prolonged my kidney function, but it was a useless medication . I was on losartan. It didn't help. I was on lisinopril, it didn't help. My kidney doctor tried Gengraf. (cyclosporine .capsules -25mg twice per day and 100 mg once a day) Thid drug didn't help

• Posted

This is a continuation of my comments. Nothing my kidney doctor tried could prolong my kidney function so.I went on a renal diet. Restricting certain items from my diet. If I eat tomatoes, I eat one slice or two. If I eat pizza, it contains tomato sauce I eat one or two small pieces. Everything I eat is in moderation. I eat a slice of avocado. I rarely eat nuts but. when I do, I eat about half a cup or less. Like I said, your body may be different than mine. Plus I have had circulation problems after I went through haemodialysis. Because I was leaking water in my legs and feet, my shoe size increased from a 7 and one half (US standards ) to a size 9. Hater haemodialysis, I lost circulation in my feet. As a result of that treatment, I lost part of my left leg and all my toes on my right. I also had type 2 diabetes and peripheral vascular disease and venous statis . Plus I have over 20 different medical problems besides having kidney disorders.

. I have 2. One or both are genetic. They are called Minimum Change.and FSGS (focal segmental glomerosclerosis).

So you have to decide or your doctor can help you deal with your food choices. I am not a doctor. I tried for a year and a half to prolong my kidney function through diet and my food choices but for one week , I stopped my renal diet. When I did that my creatinine shot up to 5.9, that is when I had a catheter put in my chest, so I could receive haemodialysis, that week.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

These have been my experiences,choices and my medical problems

Everyone has choices. Good luck in yours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.