Recurrence in 1 spot?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had shingles a year ago. Very painful but cleared up fine except for 1 spot that never went. I've got tingles there occasionally but now it's really inflamed. Same stinging pain as last time but it's not across my back just in 1 spot so pain is manageable. It's now blistering. I've also had terrible headaches. It really is stinging like shingles but just 1 spot that never went??! I can't remember does blistering means it's over the worst? I'm just worried this is the start just before Xmas!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A new two-dose herpes zoster vaccine called HZ/su is safe and reduces the risk for shingles and postherpetic neuralgia by nearly 90% in people age according to a study published in the September 15 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

ask your doctor for the new vaccine.

• Posted

Unfortunately that vaccine is not available in the United States yet this was just posted in a Pharmacy Journal December 22, 2016..."It is not yet clear how many years immunity would be sustained since the mean follow-up period in ZOE-50 was 3.2 years. An ongoing study known as ZOE-70 includes adults who are 70 years and older will determine HZ/su vaccine efficacy against post-herpetic neuralgia and other complications of herpes zoster in this older age group. While the results of ZOE-50 are encouraging, it is likely the vaccine will remain experimental until the ZOE-70 study is complete."... Unfortunately if I post the link they probably will not post my reply but I will try it in the next post.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

First, I am so sorry you have a recurrence....

Usually, the first symptoms include the headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, exhaustion and fatigue, and occasionally, photophobia.

The acute phase occurs when the pain and vesicle-blisters occur, and you are infectious until the vesicle-blisters have scabbed over. This can take up to one month.

Hopefully, you have started on an antiviral immediately, and received a strong analgesic.

As you have a recurrence, please Google the Lysine-Arginine diet Herpes Zoster-Shingles connection. A diet high in Arginine, low in Lysine can trigger a Herpes Zoster-Shingles episode. I love Cashews, Peanuts, and Macadamias, and hadn't realized that my little feasts on nuts were causing horrendous episodes.

I hope I have helped you. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I'm not sure it is a recurrence now. I went to see a doctor and he said the last blister has become infected and prescribed antibiotics. Yesterday I had the same shingle like pain but milder and have been feeling unwell but during the night I had no pain. Last time I was literally in tears. I wasn't sure about taking antibiotics but I can see what he meant it's full of yellow pus. I have a script for antivirals if I come up with any new spots / pain / rash.

When yours returns is it a new rash / spots? This 1 infected spot has definitely been there since I had the shingles more than 1 year ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.