Bladder control after prostatectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a radical prostatectomy, how soon after the catheter is removed should you expect some bladder control?  I'm on day 2 and have good control sitting down, but almost no control while standing.  Too soon to expect better?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Me too I have the same problem but also I have a little pressure in my bowel area rectum area can anybody help me with that or any suggestions you made have
    • Posted

If you are still taking the pain pill, and maybe even if not, try a mild stool softener like Senekot-S to keep the bowels moving.  If you find out anymore on the bladder control let me know.  I heard that may take months, so 2 days is probably nothing for me to worry about.
    • Posted

Bladder thing getting me down.  But, keep telling myself it's only been 2 days out.  You?

• Posted

Just can't have my bowels move correctly yet I've been having a lot of diarrhea with laxative but I'm trying to get back normal and I'm still going to get over with this and I'm going to keep trying but I think we had our surgery a week apart so you know what we like brothers

• Posted

My bladder really don't bother me I just leak when I get up and I know I'm going to leave so I'm looking forward to maybe January February to start seeing a little Improvement but I can handle that good luck keep me informed

• Posted

I guess we are like brothers in a way.  Let's both hope for full recoveries.

• Posted

Pretty good sti)l some leaking but it getting better dsy by day on the ED front haven't try any thing yet 1 day at a tme sometime the mr do get hard but not ready yet don't want to put myself to anymore a agony yet lol

• Posted

I'm the same or maybe not as good.  But, showing progress.  About the time I'm thinking things are better, then I have a down day.  But overall, getting better.  Too Too Too slowly.

• Posted

Some men regain control after a few weeks. Others never regain control.

Most regain control between 2 and 6 months.

I am back to normal 4 months after RARP?

Son in answer to your question 'is it too soon'? You bet it is.

• Posted

Well then I'll not worry for now.  I had an unrealistic expectation.

• Posted

I had a setback this week with my recovery. I started having some pain while trying to urinate and I was not getting any kind of flow. Just a steady dribble. I did not suspect that my urethra tube was closing itself off and on Wednesday, it closed off completely and I was in so much pain, I had to be taken to our local hospital by ambulance.

At the local hospital, they tried to get four different catheters in me, right down to the baby size and none would go. I had to be sent back to the hospital where I had my surgery where I was given general anesthesia and taken back into OR, where they used a camera and then inserted a balloon to stretch my urethra tube.

I came home with a catheter that was taken out Friday. 

I'm a lot more comfortable now that I can actually pee!

From what I hear, this is fairly common, so if you start to feel like it hurts to urinate, talk to your doctor right away.

I found that I had control while sitting and if I stood up very slowly and gave myself a second or two before I walked, I had much better control.

• Posted

Lucky for me I did not experience pain when peeling following surgery.

But was told it does happen to some men.

Just in case, I was given a drug called Flomaxtra which deals with such pain.

Have you being Rx'd this medication?

• Posted

No I haven't but I will talk to my doctor on Tuesday it's getting a little better as I speak but still a little painful for storing this thanks Barney

• Posted

Also I think I'm very tensed up and frustrated so that might be part of the problem too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.