Recurrent symptoms after finishing Antibiotics?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am 61 and have had diverticulosis for about 15 years. I know I am lucky as compared to some as I have just had my 3rd attack , last one was 5 years ago. This one is different though. The last one was in the ER after only about 8 hours of increasing pain. This  one came on over a much longer period, (at least 2 weeks) with mostly just stomach upset, and fullness, no other symptoms. The night before the ER visit this time pain was pretty intense and I knew I had to go in. CTScan, diagnosed with mild diverticulitis, sent home with a weeks worth of Antilbiotics. Feeling much better in a couple of days, then so much better in about 10 was ready to start adding more fiber then boom. Stomach fullness and aching again. Am now scared to eat again. Any body else like this?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm a 37 yr old female diagnosed earlier this yr. Had three flares in three months. I think maybe you are adding fiber too soon. When I start having tummy probs I back off high fiber and do a low fiber soft food diet until I feel better. I also lower my food intake all together and that helps a ton. The last time I went to the e.r. I asked the doc if it was normal to still feel pain months after an attack and he said it takes almost a full yr to heal from it. He said the pain is scar tissue. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Hollie get on a regiment of psyllium every day. It will keep your colon clean and make you go more often and when your colon is clean your not going to have DD. I'm pain free six years now and I thank psyllium for not having anymore problems with that area.

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

The plant from which the seeds are extracted tolerates dry and cool climates and is mainly cultivated in northern India. Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

• Posted

Yes i had alot of flaire ups this year the Antibiotics some time take longer to work but when I finish them I only eat very small meal never fiber. Just stop eating for 24hrs just water or soup and see how you are
    • Posted

Hi.. you have also had several flares this yr.. me too. I've had 3 CT scans.. and never did the colonoscopy because I felt like the CT was enough.. did you do a colonoscopy?

• Posted

Hi Hollie

A colonoscopy is NOT a nice experience, so you are well out of it!  The hospital tried with me 15 years ago and failed, and did a barium X-Ray instead.  When I had my last flare they insisted on trying again even though I referred them back to my previous attempt.  2nd failure and this time they did a CT scan.  I was told that the CT sometimes did not give quite as clear a picture as someone looking through the camera, but was more than accurate enough to diagnose DD.  Hope your flares settle OK.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Felicia. Sorry you had trouble with your procedure. Well.. after my e.r. appt I started seeing a gastro doc and all he wanted to do was a colonoscopy it's like he didn't even want to talk to me until we did it.. I changed to another doc and basically the same thing. I know that's their specialty but wow if they would take the time to listen they would find I had 3 CT scan in a 6mth period. Sometime I worry that I should do the colonoscopy. I'm 6mth out from my last flare. I have pains when I over eat. It's definitely an every day thing I deal with now.

• Posted

Hi Hollie

Yes I know the frustration.  The ironic thing is that the guy who tried to do the 2nd colonoscopy was the same one who's failed the 1st all those years ago and he remembered me, and even had the notes!  But hey - protocol is protocol, or how the NHS wastes time and money!!  In my case the CT scan showed very severe DD but I was just discharged without ever seeing a Consultant and left to fend for myself.  So on the positive side, they clearly felt the CT scan gave them all the information they needed, and I didn't need anything more invasive.

I would think hopefully that if nothing has worstened after 6 months you may be clear of anything more sinister.  But if like me you are a worrier, you might wish to have a colonoscopy just for your peace of mind.  My pain comes 1st thing in the morning before my BM, then I am mostly fine for the rest of the day.  But like you I cannot - or rather should not - overeat.  So Christmas will be a bit sparse this year.  Managing this disease is a lifestyle change and I keep a daily food diary.  It's a good idea anyway, but it is part of my Slimming World regime.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi Hollie

Just had a thought after reading another post.  Has your doctor ever mentioned polyps?  They sometimes go hand in hand with DD and cause bleeding.  If they are found during a colonoscopy they are usually removed at the same time.  You might want to do some research on them and decide about a colonoscopy or not.

• Posted

Hi Felinia

No my doctor never mentioned polyps. I have never had blood in my stool. I have bought those test sheets also to put in your water after a bowel movement and it is always negative. I have always had a sluggish bowel. When I was younger I thought everyone went to the bathroom once a week.. so all those years I think has lead to my DD. I work hard to have movement every day or every other day. I am a huge worry wart. A girl in her early 20's from my work was diagnosed with colon cancer.. she was bleeding during movements and even having blood clots. She is cancer free now. I'm going to try to stop worrying so much.. stress doesn't help DD either lol. Thank you so much for talking to me! You helped a lot.

• Posted

Hi Hollie

Good to hear you are not passing blood, which is also a common symptom of DD and causes new sufferers to worry.  My first attack scared me silly!  I suspect you may well be right about your sluggish bowel - I'm told the norm is between 3 times a day and once every 3 days.  I've never heard of these sheets you mentioned - are you USA based?  Here in the UK once you are a certain age you get sent a bowel cancer test kit, which you then send off to be tested for blood.

It sounds to me that you would be well advised to take psyllium husks regularly as 52311 has suggested to you.  I get mine on prescription from my doctor, specifically for DD, or you can get it online.  It makes the stools bigger, softer, more frequent, easier to pass and thus less of a strain on the damaged bowel.  Both 52311 and I have reported an increased number of bowel movements, which clears the system out nicely!!  I have taken it daily for 15 years with no problems.

I think it is the not knowing or understanding that increases the stress levels, and once you know the problem, and how others cope, your levels will hopefully go down.  Also a problem shared (via the forum) is a problem halved, as you are not alone.  My stress reducing measure has 4 legs, a tail, soft fur and purrs loudly when stroked!  Also I try and walk daily, but I am retired and it is easy for me.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi 

I'm 66, had diverticular disease for 15 years, and what you described sounded just like my pattern of attacks.  3 which cleared up fine in about 4 weeks, and the last one which did not.  Quite a few people have reported what you are experiencing, and I agree with everything Hollie says.  

For 2 months after my last attack I stuck mainly to meal replacement drinks, home made blended soup, pureed vegetables, steamed white fish, in small quantities.  Then I slowly introduced back more fibrous food.  I still get daily twinges first thing, which normally clear after the first BM, and a nurse told me it can take months for the pain to subside.

Are you on a regime of psyllium husk?  The brand name in the USA is Metamucil and here in the UK is Fybogel.  It is a soluble fibre powder mixed with water taken 1 or 2 times a day.  It helps soften and bulk stools and makes them easier to pass.  Most DD sufferers on this forum, including me, swear by it.  Also I take pure Aloe Vera juice which is a natural ingredient which fights infection, plus I take daily probiotics to aid good bacteria in the gut.  My pain reduced considerably once I started the juice.

Now after 4 months I still have very mild occasional symptoms, watch my diet carefully and just get on with life, even though my DD is classed as very severe.  You may have to go through a period of trial and error to see what aggravates your system, then adjust your diet.

I hope as you feel better your confidence to eat will improve.  Best wishes

• Posted

Felinia is spot on and gets it.You have to learn to manage this disease and psyllium is the key to not having flare ups and moving waste out your colon.

Once you speed up your metabolism by using this product you will notice the problem goes away. Your body will tell you what you can eat. For me it was greasy foods and certain meats and keeping stress levels down along with exercise.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Jimbo get on a regiment of psyllium every day. It acts like a laxative and will make you regular and will push all out of your colon. When your colon is clean your not going to get Diverticulitis.

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

The plant from which the seeds are extracted tolerates dry and cool climates and is mainly cultivated in northern India. Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

• Posted

Thanks, yes I was taking metamucil cookies most every day before my last attack, but since have not really had any. Didnt eat much for 24 hours and now am back on the soft foods and  feel better. Just so doggone tired. This one while supposed to be mild according to the ER docs has been a doozy. Eating small meals today, if I start to feel better will get back on the metamucil tomorrow. thanks, Jim
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better now.  Clearly the ER docs are not sufferers as they would not call it mild!  My nurse is a mother and fellow sufferer, and says DD is far worse than giving birth!  All the best.
    • Posted

I am in the U.S. I tried a non stimulat stool softener every day but it made my bowels very active during the day.. no movement just active and that sure didn't feel good on my tummy. I will look up psyllium. on Days that I don't have a bowel movement I feel horrible.

• Posted

Hi Hollie

As you are US based, the product is branded as Metamucil.  It is a powder you mix with a good sized glass of water and gulp down quickly, otherwise it turns into gel.  I personally find the orange flavour acceptable.  It recommends 1 or 2 times daily, and you may want to start with 1.  It also recommends giving it a few days for your system to adjust.  This is more than just a stool softener, as it bulks and has a slight laxative effect.  

I was never regular before, but now I am like clockwork, about an hour after I get up.  I take mine first thing, but you might also consider experimenting with the time of day you take it, so if you get rumblings you can time them so you sleep through them.  That was how I adjusted to another medication I take - and it does take time.

In the meantime have a good Christmas

• Posted

Felinia, thank you!!!! You have been great. I will start trying it this week. You have a great Christmas too!
    • Posted

Jimbo get on the powder Metamucil and take it twice per day 2 teaspoons in 12 ounces of water. Once you start going you will be regular and once your colon speeds up the movement you should halt any further outbreaks. Merry Christmas to you.
    • Posted

Hollie get on the Metamucil ASAP. It was a life saver and colon saver for me. I take it twice per day and have zero issues. Of course your having to go more often but I have it down to a science. And if that is the downside to having flare ups we'll I will take that any day.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too! I used to use the powder but with my appetite(6'6 260) I found the cookies more to my liking, am taking some miralax and will get the powder. thanks Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.