Alcoholic Husband's Liver

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has been an alcoholic with very excessive drinking for the past 10+ years. Daily drinking; a bottle of wine and a six-pack everyday. He stopped drinking liquor a year ago. He stopped drinking all alcohol a month prior to having bloodwork. The results were elevated levels for his liver enzymes:

AST 89    (healthy range: 10-40)

ALT 142   (healthy range: 9-46)

He told me the doctor said to wait and see in 6 months if they decrease. Without knowing anything about bloodwork, this seems really elevated to me!

Does anyone have insight into what levels would suggest fatty liver / cirossis; or is this just considered "slightly" elevated? Knowing his history with drinking (and genetic factors of alcoholics on both sides of his family) -- I supect this is more serious than what the doctor concluded.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Even if the liver were damamged, abstinence for six months will give normal readings for most people - trust me, I know from experience.

An abdomen ultrasound (at least in the UK, I know your are US based) is the best way to identify fatty liver/cirrhosis.

The levels are about what I would expect for a heavy drinker who had given up for a month. They are high and they do indicate that the internal organs are suffering.

PS I am not a doctor, just someone that has been there done that etc.

• Posted

I agree with your response, but I'm sure no matter what everyone says it will probably be dismissed by your hubby, I truly hope not and that he takes this as a warning that he needs to take heed of.

Once the liver starts to lose its healthiness then without abstinence will continue to become really bad, but you can only advise.

• Posted

I am the husband and I was the person with the alcohol problem, that put myself in hospital, which is why I understand the whole process.

But thank you for your words.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.