Low folic acid levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Had blood tests come back and Dr said my folic acid levels are low and my red blood cell sedimentation range (esr) is slightly elevated.

He has given me some folic.acid tablets for a month and said I will have follow up blood tests to check again.

I am a natural worrier and have read that anaemia can be linked to cancer?

Any help would be much appreciated! !

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can't tell you anything to comfort you other than that I am in exactly the same situation and equally anxious about the possibilities of cancer. All I can say is that I sympathise, Isobel.

I will face the next six days worrying myself silly until I go into hospital on January 2nd for a full hysterectomy after a dermoid cyst was found on MRI last month. I have been in terrible pain for months and getting stiffer and weaker every day, and the MRI also confirmed a prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine. 

To be honest the blood results are the least of my worries and I understand that a raised ESR often accompanies anaemia, so fingers crossed the iron tablets will sort us both out and that 2017 will see a return to good health. 

• Posted

Hi Chrissie

Thanks for replying!!

Sorry to hear about your health and wish you well after your hospital appointment and a speedy recovery! !

I need to.stop googling as it frightens me!! I had also read an elevated esr could mean anaemia but Dr just said I had low folic levels? Will see what.next set of blood tests reveal.in a months time!!

Wishing you well for.2nd Jan ❤

• Posted

Thank you Isobel. 

I do agree, it is probably not a good idea to look to Google or any other search engine for information but I find these forums quite informative and supportive. Doctors have a habit of remaining at a distance from us, the patient, and only telling us what they want us to know. Personally I prefer to have ALL the information and process it myself, so that I feel I am at least slightly in control. Like you, Worrying is my default setting. 

Christmas has been a distraction, now I have to prepare to get mended. Happy new Year to you, Isobel. wink

• Posted

Hi Chrissie

Hope all went well with your operation!! I hope you are taking things easy!!

Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.