Had stent three weeks ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was hoping after the procedure I would not get chest pains anymore but I do, they ease off when I sit down, but is this my life from now on.  I had hoped I would be feeling normal by now.  I have been taken off the statin as I feel like I have been hit by a truck, I go back to Dr in New Year. Would really like to know how others were feeling three weeks on and am I expecting too much too soon 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was trying to convey exactly this the other week on here but I didn't do a very good job of it. Now I have been told this by cardiologists as well as others that have had stents, now I personally haven't had the need for stents.

Can I asked how big the occlusion was that they stented ? the reason I ask this is because the cardiologists were telling me that anything below 95% blocked isn't worth stenting due to it causing other things, I.E such as yours..chest pain. I also remember them saying that a life cycle of a stent is anywhere from 2 years through to 10 years, I have also heard other patients say good and bad things about them and various other symptoms after stents had been put in. It could be that you are experiencing chest pain because after all they are inside some delicate workings in your body and it would have traumatised your arteries / heart, I wouldn't of mind betting that if you had a troponin test done a day or 2 later that it would of been reasonably elevated.

I would recommend that you let your GP  know as soon as possible and the cardiologist when you see him / her next. If the pain continues and becomes intolerable and isn't relieved by the GTN then I would be calling for an ambulance and off to the emergency department, better to be safe than sorry.

• Posted

mine was 90pc blocked, the chest pain, is more an ache, and I have worked out that it is if I do too much, yesterday I was on the go for 9 hours xmas stuff, the ache built up as the time went on, When I stopped and laid down it went, no medication taken, today has not been so bad, I spoke to dr. She didnt seem concerned.I have no breathing probs, which would really bother me.  
    • Posted

Hi Samuels, I have 18 Stents, all of which are still the way that was intended. Some of which are 15 years old now. The reality is that they will not stent a blockage if it is under 70%. Then and only then is the "Risk, not worth the reward. A balloon might rupture.

• Posted

Hi lourockymthi,

Yes cardilogists have varying opinions on stents, they are life savers that's for sure. Now one would of thought a 50 % and a 60% blockages was enough to interupt blow flow to the heart, in fact cardiologist consider that to be "baby" blockages and they have done numerous blood flow and pressure tests and they indicated very good blood flow, non flow restricted they called it. Here it's about the same as what you have said, but generally it's 95% blocked, they will stent if you are having a heart attack and the blockage is significant, I don't know I would imagine it's the same worldwide, if you are having a heart attack once they have established emergency treatment you are then rushed down to the cath lab to see if and where the blockages are . You mentioned you had 18 stents in place, that was  another discussion I was informed about by our states top cardiologist, I heard this via a third party I must add, you are a classical example, the discussion was on how far do they go with stents , why stents are used as an emergency in young people because if a young person does have blockages, usually like in my case 50 % and 60 %  new blood vessels learn how to grow and branch away from the restriction, I didn't know this, a cardilogist told me this, that new blood vessels grow around the blockages to compensate . In the case of the elderly blood vessels may not be so forth coming and then there is the amount of plaque built up in the arteries and finally the age of the patient, they take all that into consideration, stenting is by far the easiest way and the fastest way but there are other options and those options I don't think I could cope with, you know open heart surgery, grafting, and you regularly hear of people having triple and quadruple by passes in one hit, scary stuff. This cardiologist I talk about is not against stenting, far from it but he has his own personal views on it, unfortunately I don't have the ability to read or get hold of his notes to explain properly to you as my memory is very bad these days , I have forgotten most of what was verbally said to me.

I don't really understand the coronary arteries however I would like to think I have a good grasp on the laws of science. Now take a pipe or cylinderical type tube, put a rough estimate of any one blockage, lets just say 50%, now the laws of science are going to tell you that because of that blockage there is going to be a reduced flow if the fluid introduced into the pipe will be greatly reduced, perhaps not by 50 % reduction although in theory it would, now unless the fluid in that pipe doesn't move that blockage from it's pressure source, I understand that a pipe is not as flexible as our arteries but I still can't get a grip on how they say to some patients your 50 - 60% blockage isn't flow restricted, an artery can only expand so much

• Posted

Hi,

I'm Lou, 60 years old. I had my first stent in 1997 in Aurora Colorado. I've since move back to NJ. In the past 15 years in New Jersey, I've gone to the emergency room at Hackensack Hospital 10 Times. They have over those 10 Cardiac Catherizations, The Cardiologist there have fitted me with an additional 17 Stents. I don't even know how many additional "Balloon Angioplasties" they have performed and were not able to fit the arteries with stents... The reason I answered your question is, That's exactly what I asked my cardiologist last procedure.... IS THIS MY NEW NORMAL???  I think it's good that your not on Statins... To Me they are poison, and almost crippled me to the point that I could not walk... I've constantly have angina pains, Shortness of breath,, Burning in my upper chest....  They have put in so many stents, 18 total, that My cardiologist told me that I'm not even a canditate for open heart surgery and bypass,,, No place in the arteries that they would be able to stitch the new arteries... Hang in there and good luck

• Posted

omg I was told they could only do two if three needed its open heart bypass.  When you had the stents in were you awake, I was told i could need more in the future but the procedure is so unpleasant.
    • Posted

I was wide awake for all 10 Catherizations over the past 15 years. I have 18 Stents now and it feels like I'll be going back in soon... Last sugery was a year ago.

• Posted

I have two friends that have 5 Stents they both felt like brand-new people filled with energy something isn't right Christine

• Posted

How old were your friends? I am not over this lot yet, and terrified of having to have another angiogram - this pain is more a heavy ache and i have worked out it only happens if i do too much, once i rest its goes immediately, I have not breathlessness either thank god 
    • Posted

My friends were in their fifties you might have a disease called prinzmetal's angina sounds like angina that you are having and severe anxiety catherization are very stressful I didn't have too much pain with mine I was just very very nervous heart conditions are very scary and people have a lot of anxiety the doctors don't seem to care about the anxiety that goes along with this disease all I can say is that if I didn't have clonazepam or a benzodiazepine to help me stay calm I would never be able to handle having a heart disease doctors need to realize that some people are more anxious than others and it destroys our Lives I hope Dr read this and try to have more sympathy on people that have this very frightening condition and disease as long as you are going and getting your heart checked or going to the ER you will be ok Christine stay calm pray and tell people my chest doesn't feel right have somebody with you don't be alone that's the worst is being alone I wish you all the best I feel like I know you because I have a condition very similar call prinzmetal's angina keep me posted on your condition I hope your Christmas was very nice

• Posted

I have always been uptight, but i am ten times worse since this was done.  I have to restart a statin, which im dreading as they dont suit me so far,  also have 9 weeks of 2 hour sessions of rehab on nhs, starting on 10th Jan, they say my heart pulse bp is fine, will see how i am after rehab and then use bupa to delve further.  Xmas stressful !! How many pills do you take each day?

• Posted

I take 60 milligrams of isosorbide once a day 25 milligrams of Atenolol twice a day 20 milligrams of lisinopril twice a day Nitro sublingual when needed Synthroid once a day atorvastatin at night Klonopin for my anxiety Norco for my broken back life is painful but it is for Millions all we can do is get some relief work where we can and when we can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.