Effectiveness of IVIG treatments for peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had any direct experience with IVIG infusions for peripheral neuropathy? I have been receiving these 6 hour infusions every two months for the past 30 months.  I think they are helping, but I realize I may not be in the best position to judge if they are really working. My neuropath is from an unknown source - not diabetes.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm ideopathic as well. From what I've learned over the past 17 years it matters not if you are diabetic or ideopathic. Pain is pain. My peripheral neurapathy is dimylinating polineurapathy.

I've had a spinal block injections in several places. The results are questionable at best. I'm scheduled for a temporary SCS on December 29th, after which, the plan is to install a Nevro. HP10.

I have pretty severe nerve pain in both arms and legs, I currently take the maximum amount of oxycodone. I'm cautiously optimism that the SCS will provide enough relief to stop taking the oxy.

I pray that you will find relief from your pain.

God bless.

• Posted

I hope the SCS works well for you. I also have neuropathy without diabetes. I constantly get asked about that!. First it was only my feet, now it's in my arms and hands. To get off the pain meds my doc has put me on extended release Gabapentin after numerous tries with the regular Gabapentin (side effects) and other meds that did not work. I am on half my normal pain meds so far and I'm not quite up to full dose. I would never be able to get a scs due to the fact that I work with superconducting magnets. I've seen so many people have them and say they worked " for awhile" then stopped. But I have no data on the success rate so I'm not going to say it won't help you. Keep us posted on your progess!!

• Posted

Frank:

Thanks. I don't (yet) suffer from the continuous pain, but rather creeping numbness, which I hope to slow down. I don't know about an SCS, I am still in the learning stages of this disease )although I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago). Ther are apparently so many versions of neuropathy that it is hard to get a handle on it.

• Posted

I've been doing ivig treatment for about 5 years and it's non diabetic as well .you have to give it time to work it helps with the burning, stinging flow of pain I do it twice a month perfect timing before you are flared up . I find that it helps with symptoms the pain is real n will always be there so therefore it's a great treatment

• Posted

I've been doing ivig treatment for about 5 years and it's non diabetic as well .you have to give it time to work it helps with the burning, stinging flow of pain I do it twice a month perfect timing before you are flared up . I find that it helps with symptoms the pain is real n will always be there so therefore it's a great treatment along with exercise

• Posted

Have both feet with a neuropathy and do not have diabetes. Cannot find out what is causing it and what I can do about itcheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.