Cream or Ointment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have seen some people comment about getting either cream or ointment and I was wondering what the difference is.

I was given clobetasol propionate cream .05%

Is this good, bad or just different things work for different people?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi DonnaCanada.

i got the Clob cream from hospital but I found it was thick and hard to spread especially at the beginning of applying it if it is sore so I asked GP for the ointment version which was Dermovate and the ointment spreads easier and I think goes deeper.  I asked the pharmacist if it's the same and she said it is same ingredients,  hope that helps.  I have excema and have betnovate for it but always in ointment as I found the ointment you need so much less, 

• Posted

Hi Donna, I too have L's. About 8 years now I have suffered, I too have dermovate 0.5% which I use when I have a flare up then when things calm down I use eumovate 0.5% every day. Now I use it about 4 times a week. But also have some ointment called epiderm in which I put in my bath water after I've made it in liquid form by adding hot water to it then pour it into the bath water. I'm also going to try baking soda mixed with water to the bath water. Hope this helps.xxx

• Posted

My doctor's office once called in the cream instead of ointment my mistake for my refill, so I tried it.  I didn't care for it at all.  I prefer the ointment, which feels like it absorbs into the skin better.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.