Can paxil when taken sporadically?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I googled my question and couldn't find an answer so I signed up here.

Without any professional knowledge I'm guessing the answer to my question is no.

But will I benefit from any of paxil's effects/side effects if it's taken for 1 day?

No built up tolerance in the brain or balancing of chemicals. Hopefully a professional can weigh in or someone who knows what I'm hinting at.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you have only taken paxil for 1 day you may feel some side effects. But most likely you will not.  if you do feeel anything all side effects would subside the following day if you did not take it again. Hiope this helps and Happy Holidays to you.
  • Posted

Highly unlikely, paroxetine has a long half-life time and it needs to build up its potential over a period of at least 2-3 weeks. If I understand your reasons right, you should look at dapoxetine instead - it works much faster (and the effects wear off within a few hours).

However, paroxetine could be the way to go, but you would need to start with a low dose (10 mg) for a week and then increase it to 20 mg. Mind that even in non-depressed patients it causes many unpleasant side effects - including weight problems, headaches, insomnia... and it prides itself in being the most difficult drug to stop among all SSRIs. So if I were you, I would see a GP first, have a discussion about the problem and then make an informed decision. There are people who use paroxetine off-label and they do perfectly fine on it. But as this is not aspirin, it is in your interest to get a GP involved…

• Posted

I'm currently on a slew of stuff, 150mg wellbrutin, 20mg propanolol, and 2mg diazepam. I had taken paxil (for depression/anxiety) a while ago and had some left over. I was hoping it was a pop if needed type drug because I take so much as is.

After googling your dapoxetine you know exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you very much for your detailed answer. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.