Weening off Clonazepam 1.0 mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've taken 1.0 mg of Clonazepam for around 3 months along with Mirtazapine 22.5 mg. It has definitely helped me sleep better but I sleep too much and have a lot of head pressure and dizziness during the day. I want to ween off it but wonder what people's opinions are. Should I go to .75 mg first or down to .5 to start weening at? Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

it depends on how long you have been taking it, it is actually a nightmare drug to withdraw from.     it took me 6 months and i am not kidding. you may look at the " Ashton Manual" on the net,  or go to benzo buddies org    all of these things will scare you, but let you know that you need to do this.  stevie nicks of Fleetwood Mac has an unreal story in Rolling Stone magazine about getting off of it. you might give that a read, too.   you need to keep a diary and go slow. your anxiety will increase greatly as you draw down..... took me 6 months and i am not kidding.

• Posted

Ive been taking it for 3 months and took it at .75 mg for a week and Ive taken it at .5 mg for a few days and im doing ok just some head pressure which I was having at 1.0 mg also and my stomach has been upset some. I emailed my plan to my doctor and he agreed with my tapering schedule and I see him this week and will take it from there. Thanks for the reply and info.
  • Posted

it is a longer acting benzo. so, you will be fine for 3-4 days, and then wham. just listen to your body. it is really hard to believe that such a smalll amount can cause you such withdrawal...... but it is true. perhaps you have not been on it long enough for it to be that bad. if you taper down a week, and you suddenly get side effects, i encourage you to just ask your doctor for as slow a taper as you can do...... no need in having to go through what i did. good luck to you!  
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply swinging sister and it seems like the worst part for me so far is the head pressure I get around my temples a good bit of the day and I'm totally wiped out by the end of the work day. I've been obsessing a little more today but it's hard not to even though you know that you are when you feel side effects a good bit of the day..I see my doctor Thursday so I guess we'll see from there.

• Posted

I was put on clonazepam .5 and I took it for 5 weeks everyday after I had my 2nd baby. I remember when she was five weeks old I didn't take it for a couple of days and right when I started my first period (sorry tmi) I started getting dizzy all day that day. I have been dizzy ever since. Also have pressure in my left ear and sometimes it will be in the back of my head too. I have took them on and off since then, but I just looked it up last night the symptoms of withdrawals and it kind of makes sense. Did you ever find out any advice? Could my symptoms be from these stupid clonazepams? I'm planning to quit them!

• Posted

By the way she is now 8 weeks old so it's been 3 weeks since this started. And I didn't abuse the clonazepam. I took one everyday for 5 weeks though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.