Sound distortion/hearing loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just notice that I can't hear discussions with people and I have to keep asking them to repeat what they said.

When I listen to music the sounds are all off.  I've tried different types and they turn out the same.  Do I have a perforated eardrum because I use Q-tips?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gandal, it is highly unlikely that a Q-tip has perforated your eardrum as if it had, it would have caused immense pain. It is more likely that your ear canal is full of wax, if it is just one ear. If it is your hearing in general, and the drop in hearing has decreased suddenly within a day or two, it could be sudden hearing loss. If this is the case you need to be treated with steroids so you would need to book an immediate hearing test with an audiologist. They can look in your ears and test your hearing. If they think it is sudden hearing loss, they should phone your doctor/ENT to ask for a script to start immediate steroid treatment. 
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your response.  I will consult my doctor regarding this.

Gandalf44

• Posted

A doctor can't tell you what your hearing is doing, so if you think it is sudden hearing loss, you need a hearing test immediately!! If it's wax then your doctor is the best bet!! Good luck!

• Posted

Greetings Gandalf;

I don't know what area you are in US, UK, Canada, ?  But I have found over the years, there are many things that can cause hearing loss.  Don't know if you are middle age, older or younger.  Some info comes into play when you are dealijng with hearing loss.

The simple part reason for hearing loss is wax build up.  Frequency loss is usually more different.  While I am not a doctor, nor am I a medical professional.  I can speak from 30 plus years of driving a service vehicle all over the U.S.  I developed High Frequency Loss in my left ear (due to what I believe was the baffleing of air with the window open while driving).  As I have gotten older (now at 59 year old) at 50, I needed to be fitted for a hearing aid in my left ear because I had problems in hearing both in large rooms filled with people as well as smaller environment that I needed some amplification.

Over a year + ago, I lost my hearing after going to bed.  I woke in the middle of the night sweating and with a pain (like an ear infection in my one ear), I rolled over and went back to sleep.  The next morning I woke up with a pain in both ears (dual ear aches) and I was deaf (lost over 90% of my hearing in both ears).

I would recommend that you use the knowledge you gain from internet searches as well as blogs as tools to help guide you.  Each and everyone of us are different.  Even though we may have simular symptoms, we may each have different problems.  But most of all, we can all learn from each other and help others through their journey.

If you haven't see a doctor about this, there are 3 ways to go.  An audiologist can decipher some of the puzzle and give you an idea of holes in the frequencies that you are hearing or not hearing.  Depending on their skill level they may give you some direction.  While I had mentioned area that you are in.  Depending on country, and medical health plans you may need a referral from a GP or a PCP (General Practitioner or Primary Care Physician) to be referred to a ENT (Ear Nose & Throat) which in my case diagnosed me with an ALLERGY ISSUE that irrated my SINUSES causing me to not be able to hear.  Yet  when I was my PCP before getting that referral,  advised me that I would NEVER hear again and I would have to live with it.  Who would have thunk it.  (Sorry).

While some on different sites and searches advised me that I had glue ear or other issues which were far more serious, I took that information to my ENT during my visits as questions (If It Could Be) rather than trying to tell him I new more than he knew.   It also helps to remove some of the scary unknowns and helps to put you in a less stressed mood.

Hope this helps as well as gives you some direction.

Have a great 2017 and I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.