3rd week on Escitalopram...still jittery and anxious

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I'm new here and looking for some help. I started Escitalopram 3 weeks ago for my anxiety. It started up again after I had some health issues. The first time I took it was 2-3 years ago and had no side effects. This time around I have had pretty much all of them. Currently I still have shakiness in my hands and some GI issues. I am still getting increased anxiety off and on but thankfully not having it all day long like I was at the beginning. I have always taken my escitalopram before bed. I find that after I take it ..within half hour or so I get extremely jittery and my anxiety increases drastically.... also as I start to doze off I get body jerks. Could it be that the dose is too high for me? Should I cut back or is this normal and is it still early to expect the side effectsto be gone? It's hard to stay on this when the side effects make me feel so terrible

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dana,

What dose are you taking I take 15mg, I also have tremors and full body jolts as I drop off to sleep they wake me up which can be annoying.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Danny

I am on 10mg. I started out on this dose. How long have you been taking it? I was wide awake until 4am last night as my anxiety was high..and the jolts make it hard to get to sleep. I am super jittery after taking my pI'll and wake up with jitters. They tend to decrease a bit through the day. So far since starting on this I feel worse rather than better and hope it wasn't a mistake starting. I am unsure if I should keep holding out for another week or if I should start weaning myself back off them.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started them in May, but because of my anxiety about it I only started on 5mg for a month and 10mg for 2 months and 15mg from then onwards, you need to be patient there's no quick fix for mental illness be kind to yourself and try not to put to much pressure on yourself to get better, it will only slow your progress

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started escitalopram 3 weeks ago and i was previously on lexapro 3 years ago but weaned off but recently my anxiety came back.I started on 10 mg but i had increased anxiety so my doc told me to only take 5 mg and i have been on 5 mg now.It has helped alot but i still get some anxiety and hard to fall asleep.I think everyone reacts different to meds.It sounds like after you take it your experiencing a buildup of serotonin.I felt increased anxiety and dialated pupils when i was on 10mg.I do not feel like that at 5mg.What is your dose?It may take some time to level out.Have you discussed this with your doctor?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dana,

Can you tell me how your feeling now, Any better? I've been taking Escitalopram for 2 weeks and my anxiety has been replaced by panic attacks so I can hardly leave the house - or have anyone round without popping a diazepam. I want to continue on it with the hope I'll feel better soon...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello..I'm sorry to reply so late. I started weaning off mine (started at 10mg) shortly after I posted this as couldn't handle the side effects. I was only on for 3 weeks and took 2 weeks to wean . I just took my last dose of 2.5mg two nights ago. I felt pretty good at the start but recently have had an increase in anxiety as well as several symptoms consistent with ssri discontinuation syndrome. .like nausea and vomiting, dizziness, shakiness, and continue to have the stupid muscle jerks. I just want to feel better! How are you doing on yours now?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up