Food affected bowel habits, bloody bowel movements

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, very embarrassed but really desperate for advice. I have had an issue with my bowels now for 5 years. It all started when i was taking some medication called champix to help me quit smoking. i started to get rectal bleeding when going to the toilet.Over the years this has got worse. Basically I have a high urgency when needing a bowel movement. There's not much warning at all. from 0 to I NEED A POOP RIGHT NOW. Also my poop is always bloody.sometimes when I'm desperate for the toilet I get there and all that comes out is just bloody mucas.this happens alot.I have boughts of diarrhea and constipation. And I have really bad boughts which I tend to get the day after eating salsa or tomato ketchup and what happens is I end up going back and forth to the toilet about 8 times in an hour or two and it's normally bloody diarrhea and it causes alot of pain. only way I can explain it is it's like I'm throwing up from my bottom,like it comes in waves of extreme pain then alittle bloody poop comes out but it's very loose and watery.

I've had a colonoscopy a sigmoidoscopy and an endoscopy and nothing has come back. when I had the colonoscopy they mentioned there was a slight dip in my intestine that may have been a sign of an ulcer at some point but it wasn't there any more.

When I became pregnant 4 years ago the symptoms all went away.2 months after I gave birth they all started again. it's constant.every single time I have a bowel movement there is blood.bright red and sometimes brown.

I also suffer terribly with acid reflux.

I really hate this.I can't go out today because I had a bit of pickle last night and have now been suffering since 12 o'clock being on and off the toilet in agony.

Please does anyone have any advice or any symptoms the same. it seems the blood isn't as common with ibs but I have the blood all the time and there is defo something wrong. doctors are being useless.

Thank you for any advice

(fyi...I'm a 30 year old female)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lianne I have similar symptoms to you but I don't have diahrreah. I have the blood and mucus and also take omeprazole for acid reflux. I have been sufferering almost daily since July with the blood and mucus .I had a sigmoidoscopy in November and they was told they could see some inflamation in my rectum . They took biopsies and diagnosed me with proctitis and prescribed me asacol suppositories. I got my biopsy results back and was told they were normal .I'm now waiting for my follow up appointment to find out if I have proctitis or not

• Posted

I would be as worried as you about this. Sounds like Crohn's or diverticulitis or proctitis or one of those inflammatory type diseases.

i would keep a food diary daily for at least 6 months of everything you eat and also a daily diary of symptoms and see how the 2 correlate. Sounds grim but take photos of your worst bloody Bowel movements with your phone and when you have all this supporting evidence then ask your GP to be referred to a new gastrointestinal/general surgeon - as a 2nd opinion. Take the food diary, the symptom diary and photos with you on your 1st appt with your new consultant and see the difference in how you are treated. Plus, with all that info to work with, diagnosis should be a whole lot easier for the new consultant and you should start to see results and get relief.

Don't worry about grossing the doctor out with Bowel movement photography- it is virtually impossible to gross a consultant out - especially a surgeon...!

I wish you all the best in future my Dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.