I had Chiari decompression surgery December 6

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just wanted to say that I had decompression surgery December 6th. He thinned the dura but did not open it and my C1 was removed. I have to say I did a lot of research and a lot of praying prior to surgery but I am so glad I had this done. I suffered for 6 years with symptoms after I gave birth to my daughter, after years of searching for the problem I finally got diagnosed by a chiropractor about 3-4 months ago and immediately found the best recommended surgeon in my state Dr Scott Soleau in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He told me that I would be cursing his name after surgery because this was one of the most painful surgeries performed. It was not at all half as bad as I expected. I also found out 2 weeks before surgery my husband was having an affair with someone we took into our home for the recent big flood here. And we have a 6 year old daughter. So not only was I suffering will Chiari symptoms, preparing for a huge surgery, had just taken in 2 families into my home because of the flood, then found out my husband had been cheating with one for the past few months and had to see a lawyer right before surgery I can say that I am blessed beyond belief. I have never felt better. Surgery was December 6, stitches came out Wednesday December 21, and when I woke up the next day I felt like I hadn't even had surgery performed. I can move my neck as easily as prior to surgery and my energy is so much better, no back pain, I've had one mild headache and a couple dizzy spells because I was out Christmas shopping for 2 days and staying up until late and only getting 4-5 hours of sleep. I was so excited I felt so good I kinda over did it. I know every person is different with Chiari and I pray that my symptoms stay gone from this day forward. Everything I've prayed for thus far have been given to me. So despite the fact that I am separating my husband and we share a beautiful daughter and a big beautiful home we built together that is now for sale, I just know my body has been restored because God has a plan for me and I'm excited to see what the future holds for me. I just wanted to share my story. I know lots of people prolong surgery because of fear. And I almost cancelled my surgery when I found out about the affair because I knew my daughter would need me more than ever but I didn't let it defeat me. I had the surgery and with the help of my parents after the first week I was doing everything wth no problems. It is a personal decision that each person has to make but I can attest that prayer, positive thoughts, and believing that I was going to be healed is what kept me in a peaceful happy place. My symptoms wasn't nearly as bad as some and I am super happy that I didn't wait until it was too late. I hope and pray that all my fellow Chiari family gets cured. Praying for you all.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your kind word and encouragement. Sad that you have gone through that but sometimes God does things for a reason. I pray that God continues to bless you and your daughter. I'm getting surgery in January and yes am a little worried but like you said prayer is the key. 🙂

• Posted

Yes indeed I truly believe that. And I'm not scared of what the future holds for my daughter and I because I believe God has restored my health and is opening up a new door for me to walk through. Prayers sent your way for a speedy recovery for your surgery. You got this!

• Posted

Hi Kekerene, AMEN to that, ust take it easy...at least another 6 months
  • Posted

I wish you all the best for 2017 and beyond,tuff story tuff,times but I guess this is your journey sadly.i am sure your positivity will shine through though,you truly do seem amazing!! Keep it up,it gives me/us strength knowing someone else is going through the same and coping so well,AMAZING
  • Posted

Yes in 3 days it will make 1 month since surgery and I am happy to report I feel great. I am so happy I did the surgery now rather than later. I feel like a vibrant person again. And yes gary01475, I have already claimed 2017 as my year so I will not let anyone or anything get the best of me now that I have my health back. I am so grateful for that alone and it brings me all the joy I need to rise above the road blocks that life has thrown my way. Wishing all my Chiari family a Happy 2017 and praying that everyone finds relief from their symptoms. Take care!
  • Posted

Hello! I am considering Dr Scott Soleau in Baton Rouge for my Neuro I have a 3 mm herniation and a list of symptoms a mile long. Can you tell me a little about his process? Does he do a CINE MRI for CSF flow? How large was your herniation? My current Neurologist is stating that my size herniation is causing none of my symptoms and I need to find someone who will listen. Thanks in advance!
    • Posted

Good luck to you, i think that is the best decision you are making..get d one and over with..you will be gald that you had done it in the end...!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.