Alternative treatment for PRN???

Posted , 4 users are following.

It is now a year since I started a thread re edema with PHN which my father was experiencing.  Sadly my father passed just before Christmas, largely to the edema, the reason for which was never established by all his doctors.  I do believe it was from his medications as many of them do have edema as a side effect and he certainly didn't have it before he contracted shingles 2 years ago.  Anyway, at 92 he is now at peace after enduring severe pain for those two years.  After reading about so many of your stories and experiences with PRN I thought I would "put it our there" that my sister was doing some research about the benefits of using a topical treatment of peppermint oil which has resulted in near immediate improvement in shingles-related pain, with the results lasting for two months of follow-up treatment.  I don't know if anyone has tried it, however, I know how desperate one can get with this awful condition.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Rhonda.  I;m sorry about your father.   Did your sister get the peppermint oil over the counter or special order it.  I forgot to mentioned that I have also tried a cannabis lotion that I got in Colorado.  Sometimes it helps for a few hours.  And sometimes it's like it doesn't help at all.  

• Posted

Thank you Brian.  My sister didn't actually buy it, just read about it's use.  Interesting about the cannabis lotion!  All the best Brian, I do hope you find permanent relief from your condition.

• Posted

I am interested to know how you got cannabis lotion.  I am in Colorado also and have not figured out how to get the lotion.  Did you get a medical card to go to a medical dispensary?  I was told you couldn't just walk in a medical dispensary without a card.  I plan to also ask my primary care doc about it cause I have heard that it has helped some in New Zealand.

• Posted

It is my understanding that Colorado, on a county option basis, can sell recreational marijuana.  While this lotion is not considered recreational is is available at a store that does not require a medical prescription.  I got mine in DeBeque.  It's a little town about 15 miles out of Grand Junction.

• Posted

How fantastic!  Unfortunately in Australia we are still going through the process of legislating medicinal marijuana for those with terminal diseases, chronic pain, epilepsy and the like.  In the meantime, folk like my father suffer extreme pain, which at 92 in his case is a diabolical situation.

• Posted

The peppermint oil treatment sounds interesting.  Could you be more specific?  Prescription?  How often?  Strength?
  • Posted

Rhonda,

Sorry to hear of your father's passing.  The peppermint oil is interesting.  Can you tell us details:  Where did she get it, was it typical peppermint oil, how often did she use it, how thick to apply it, etc.? 

• Posted

As I mentioned my sister didn't actually buy it, she read about the peppermint oil on a Natural Health website.  I can only suggest you do a search on the web and enquire through the appropriate website.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.