I'm not sure what's wrong with me, could it be anaemia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've been feeling quite a number of symptoms for so long, but I noticed some worsened over time. So here's my symptoms:-

- I feel sleepy all the time, even after an 8 hours uninterrupted sleep.

- Shortness of breath after simple activity like putting clean clothes in the wardrobe.

- Dizziness after standing for too long, or walking a lot.

- Mild headache almost everyday.

- Chest tightness (feels like ashtma but milder and i know because I've had several ashtma attacks before.)

- I also have low blood pressure most of the time. (My diastolic always below 60)

- Cold hands and feet even when the temperature drops slightly.

- More hair loss than before.

There are days I feel perfectly healthy but there are days I feel so sick. Please help me sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Please ask a GP, who is also connected at a 'naturopath/wellness' center,

if you have access to something like it somehow and if it was a 1-2 hour travel, if you can do it.

It sounds like CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome).

We went after 15 months of ongoing abdo pain issues and more and more tiredness due to pain and sleepless nights to a different GP a long distance away and are very pleased since many other issues were checked (like Zn, or parathyroid hormone or infections or B6 or copper, recheck VitD and blood counts, liver parameters and finally a parasite in stool test covering a week of stool sample in one to make sure not to miss any possibly hiding one),

that are often overlooked or not checked in basic common searches

and will do something about CFS,

which is a side effect for my daughter due to exhaustion caused by chronic pain.

(If it will influence pain, we don't know, but when life is on the slow lane anyway, then it should not be made slower by CFS or additional infections or untreated infections like late lyme -that many do not even consider to exist trying to avoid months of antibiotics- or missing nutrients. We also did a hair sample mineral testing, which proved, what was seen in blood: a low magnesium level, but higher calcium level. and so on. Things that can be tackled, levelled out and see if it helped.

We drink a self made green juice everyday, too. Not yummy. But not too bad either.

I would have not gone straight to a naturopath, but I like a fully trained doc, who is a naturopath as well and has a good criss cross understanding of chronic diseases, trying not to overlook common or rare causes and help on a holistic level as well, not only, but as well.

Please stay well hydrated (to get more pressure into veins) and don't get frustrated, those things need time to get better.

I hope you can get hold of a good GP for CFS.

Take good care!

• Posted

PS: A simple full blood cell count and iron study (incl ferritin) should answer the question quite easily if anaemia was the cuprit. It's not that expensive if you are not covered privately. Or you trial iron supplements plus VitB supplements and see if you felt better after 2-3 months (as it takes months for the red blood to be made and replaced fully)

Best of luck! No idea what I wrote in the other comment, maybe it get's through. ;-)

• Posted

I have Chronic Fatigue / M.E. and I've had it for nearly 30 years but to be honest even though your symptoms are similar to CFS - tiredness/exhaustion after a little exertion and dizziness etc. I'm not sure it could be that. As well as the exhaustion people with CFS most often experience a lot of muscular and joint pain and severe headaches. It does sound more like iron or Vitamin B12 deficiency possibly but if I were you I'd definitely go and have blood tests asap as you really need to find out what is causing your symptoms.

?I recently had the same sort of feelings to you but as I have CFS anyway, I'm used to feeling tired, sleepy and dizzy so I tend to ignore such symptoms, but a few weeks ago they were significant worse.  I was falling asleep on the sofa as I was so flaked out, I was unsteady on my feet (I felt like I was walking on a rocking boat!), I was confused and unable to think straight, I had a constant minor headache, I was more breathless than usual and I had palpitations which made me feel panicky.  I had a major panic attack one day when out walking as I felt that I couldn't get my breath. So suspecting that it might be low iron (I'd had this happen before 3 years ago) I started taking Feraglobin iron supplement straight away, which bought a little relief until I could get an appointment to see my doctor and get some blood tests done - he tested everything to be on the safe side as I felt so rotten, but even after 10 days of taking iron supplement my iron was still very low at 7.5 so it must have been at a critically low level beforehand, so it's really important that you get tested just in case your iron is low too.  I'm on high dose 140g ferrous fumurate liquid iron now and I'm gradually feeling less breathless and dizzy although not completely better, but hopefully as time passes I will improve more.  Good luck!  I know what you mean - it is very worrying when you feel so wiped out and breathless, but at least blood tests are the first step tests and may throw some light on why you are feeling so unwell at the moment.?

• Posted

Best to get the iron test before taking any iron supplements. 
  • Posted

Hi Alya, certainly all of your symptoms are indicative of anemia...dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, hair loss, etc. 

Ask your GP to run blood for hemoglobin, ferritin and B12 as they all go hand in hand. I have had all your symptoms and I was anemic.

It would be best to do it soon as your symptoms will continue to worsen. Anemia does not correct itself, it will require supplementation.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.