Muscles

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have lost all my muscle tone.  Started with a trainer who i will  see 3 times a week.  Can my muscles come back while i am still on predisone.  On 4.5 mg.  I have had no pain for weeks or any stiffness. I actually feel like my PMR is gone but i am still going slowly. Not counting on anything yet.  Any muscle advice.  Has yours come back?  Did you ever lose it? thx

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is only in the last week or so that I've felt my muscle strength beginning to return.  I am now at 2.5 mg.  I've been exercising throughout the PMR journey.  One thing I can do a few of is "real" pushups.  I was doing 10 before PMR stopped my progress.  For a while after treatment I was able to do more, about 15.  Then I slipped back down again to 10.  The other day I realized I'd done 20 without even thinking!  So, yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but in my case at least the tunnel has been a bit longer than I expected.

Whatever you do, don't overstress your muscles.  Like weaning from prednisone increase in exercise needs to be done in minute increments.

• Posted

You are wise to be cautious and at that low dose there should be no side effects to bother you so go for it.  My legs are ok as I have had both a hip replacement and a knee replacement in 18 months and I am still doing the exercises the physios taught me then.

My arms are a different matter...........I think I will have to go with the tins of baked beans as weights and see if that helps!

Don't overdo it though.  Your muscles are probably still intolerant of repetitive exercise, so go gently.

• Posted

Karen, I have definately lost muscle since starting preds in Dec 2013. The muscles in my legs have not been effected as harshly as my arm /shoulder muscles. I can still walk 5 miles on rocky terrain and do not notice any after effects. However, the muscles in the tops of my arms, and shoulder muscles can hurt after simply shaking out the washing! I have cleaned one of the cottages today and I can safely say that this evening I will have a sort of dull pain  in this area this evening. I will go to bed in pain BUT will wake without pain or at the worst much reduced pain and if i don't do any further arm/shoulder work the pain will be gone in 2 days. I am down to 3mgs preds and know that I do need to work on gaining muscle in this area. Regards, Tina.

• Posted

I lost a lot of muscle and muscle tone when I was put onto Medrol for about 9 months. I was switched to a different sort of steroid and the muscle came back.quite soon - and I couldn't exercise much at the time as I was on crutches for an achilles tendon problem. I started walking into the village and back and increased the amount slowly. I also did the stairs whenever I could manage. 

Really we should be referred for physio right from the start - but we rarely are.

• Posted

Both my GP and rheumie have said that they did not think physio was worth while. When I suggested I went privately their faces lit up and they said they thought it was a good idea! 
    • Posted

Prof Sarah Mackie is of the opinion we should all be given an exercise programme and support. Funny how things suddenly are a good idea when we pay and it doesn't come out of their budget isn't it?

• Posted

It is the same thinking as bus passes for OAPs in UK. They want to cancel them, which will mean that many old people will be stuck at home and will probably be less healthy and use up more medical resources. I want to set up some training classes at our outdoor gym in the local park. I wrote to our GPs' surgery about it and they do not want to know. I would have thought that by advertising it, it would help people to get out and improve their health. I suppose they think they are not paid to think laterally and they might use customers! 

• Posted

Some of them think they aren't paid to think, never mind laterally!

• Posted

One GP told me he was free! I assume he forgot the hundred grand plus that gets paid into his bank account each year. 
    • Posted

Free at point of receipt maybe. I paid NI and still pay UK taxes - that isn't quite free. 

• Posted

I mentioned the word taxpayer, it went down like a lead balloon! He thinks he is a fairy godmother. 
    • Posted

How do you manage to keep going back????
    • Posted

I don't, he won't speak to me after the lead balloon incident. I am probably notorious at the practise and have a black star by my name. 

• Posted

hi Eileen hope all is well, just wondering how you got Achilles' tendon injury, like was it to do with PMR, noticed I have problem with back of knee, like tendons pulling as though there going to snap, only when walking and then wouldn't have it all the time, is it related to PMR, GCA thanks

• Posted

My achilles problem was inflammation due to being given a quinolone antibiotic while taking Medrol (methylprednisolone)! Each of them is capable on their own of causing achilles tendonitis as an adverse effect, put the two together and it increases the chances! I didn't look it up (serves me right) as I assumed both the GP and the pharmacist knew I was on Medrol and would notice. That's why i am really not very trusting any more! The GP said "I've never seen it before..." A&E at the local hospital just said "yes, quite correct, we'll strap it and here are some crutches..."

I have heard ohers say they have knee problems - bit whether it is the PMR I really don't know.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen, it's not my knee, it's the back of knee where it bends, almost    Like I can't straighten my leg fully and when I try to straighten it, it's like the tendons are going snap, just wondering has anyone suffered with this, it doesn't feel like this all the time.

• Posted

That's what I meant - I have heard others mention something similar but they aren't on this forum. But I don't know what it turned out to be either.

• Posted

Hello Eileen, would like to start a discussion on specific exercises with links to actual exercise plans for quick visual ref'. perhaps peole could list exercises that are easy to follow and which have been successful.Has this been done before? do you have any links from Prof Mackie?

I have one from NOSoc, will ask moderator if we can pin it perhaps.

Guessing you & others have answers as usual !

• Posted

No - sorry! Since it isn't a problem I've had I've never taken a lot of interest in it and don't have much time to think about it. I did have a problem with one form of steroid (Medrol) - but I was also having other problems at the time which would have made ANY exercise problematic! Apart from anything else I was on crutches because of an achilles tendonitis (partly due to the Medrol)! As soon as i stopped the Medrol the muscle wasting stopped getting worse and then I started walking (hobbling rolleyes  wink and within a relatively short time my leg muscles were fine again, they aren't the limitation for what I want to do it seems. 

I do know that the study they are doing currently in Leeds is basically encouraging patients to walk more using a pedometer. I don't know if they also provide other simple exercises to keep muscle tone - but any physiotherapist could suggest those.

• Posted

I'm sure there are several gentlemen on here that would simply love to share their exercise regimes.......:-)

• Posted

I would be interested to know of specific exercises for upper arms and shoulders. These are my painful areas. I was given some exercises by a physio, involving raising arms over head, but this is very difficult for me. However I do gentle yoga most days, which is very helpful and relaxing.
    • Posted

and the fact that none of us ladies can even think about, much less embark on, such a routine will not deter them!
    • Posted

Obviously your physio has no concept at all of what PMR is!

There are no exercises that will do anything more for PMR that doing the level of walking or other perambulation that YOU can manage will achieve. Half an hour every day at the pace YOU can manage is a good start - and as time goes on you WILL manage a bit more providing you don't have other problems. 

As with so much in PMR, everyone is different, has differing activity abilities and time to do such things. Not to mention other things that perhaps must be done before they feel able to indulge themselves.

I was freelance which meant I could plan my work day entirely to suit me and could afford gym membership (el-cheapo, daytime only, Mon-Fri) so did an aqua class and Pilates and yoga that was carefully adapted for me. That kept me going - but none of that is an option now, walking suffices.

• Posted

Susan I am sorry you are having upper arm pain. If you are, it is probably not a good idea to start full on exercising which may make it even worse and cause you more pain. Yoga is a good idea, I hope it helps, and Thai Chi. Keep it all gentle. Do you go swimming? 
    • Posted

Susan, I think the idea of exercising your painful area is generally not a good idea, but if your exercises are designed more for improving your range of motion, rather than strengthening muscles, then they probably are worth doing, with care.  Repetitive exercise is hard on PMR/pred weakened muscles, so only a few repetitions a couple of times a day.  And, as Eileen says, carrying on with what you are comfortable doing rather than adding new things is best, at least for now.  
    • Posted

I would echo the cautions about exercising.  My physical therapy for range of motion was ok, but the exercises to gain strength caused pain that wouldn't stop and the exercises were reduced, but in hindsight, were still probably too much.  I suspect I am experiencing a flare right now.  I will discuss this with my rheumy, but the combination of reducing prednisone while doing physical therapy might have set me back on the pmr.  It is a fine balance for sure.  Learning patience is very difficult, at least for me!

• Posted

Thanks for your prompt reply. My problem is really that I want to do anything I can to improve my condition , y
    • Posted

and as you imply in your response, there isn't much I can do about the arms and shoulders. I am very fortunate that I'm able to walk my dogs for about an hour every day without any difficulty

• Posted

Take gentle exrecise but do not overdo it. Walking can be very beneficial.

Eat a well balanced diet without simple carbs.

Rest when you can and take it easy. 

Do not get stressed.

• Posted

I boight one of those things that you put in the microwave to heat up, mine smells of lavender. I think they contain some sort of grain. Anyway when heated they can be rather pleasant around areas of pain, particularly the shoulders I found.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.