Trying to make a decision.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a AAA measuring 5.4. I trying to decide on which procedure to have. Open or a stent. I'm 67 still working in good health other wise except for diabetes. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think that the stent option would be easier to tolerate compared to having your chest cracked. It will take you a couple of months to recover from the latter, while the former, if I am not mistaken, is comparatively easy for recovery. Discuss the pros and cons with your surgeon or cardiologist.

• Posted

Sorry - I somehow misread your post and thought you were talking about an aneursym in your chest. I had that myself and must have gotten mixed up.

That said, I think I'd go for the stent rather than surgery for the same reason: much less recovery time and probably a lot less post-operative pain. Discuss the pros and cons with a vascular surgeon, though.

• Posted

i was 63 when diagnosed with 6.8 AAA i was fit & well & still working that was 18 momths ago. they told me a stent is only tempory so i had the open procedure. the first done in july 2015. i then got an infection & after months of antibiotics i had the procedure re done using a vein from my leg in november 2016. a year on i am a semi invalid. my leg swells & i feel ill every day. i wish i had never had it done. i have awful tummy pains & worry all the time. M

• Posted

Hi Martin, just want to know what do you mean when you say tummy pains my hubby had the operation done April 2015, and that qwas open but they put a stent in I didnot know that they could have done a by pass the reason was they could not do it through the groin due to thrombus I do not know why he had to open him up and not doing the by pass his was in tummy he had a ong recovery and was in hospital for ove 15 days,and Dr said his tummy muscles re weeThey also said he had a lot of scar tissue but he never had any operations propr to this on  his body, but he did have a bit of weight on tjummy, every three months since he had the oeprationhe would start to vomit with [ain in tu my so we would end up in hospital scans and pain killers, they said that it be be due that his stomach kinks and it causes it, never had this issue beofore is it the same issue you face Then January 1st 2016 sia dit was appendix gotthat taken out , octorber 2016 a hernia in stomach and had a operation for that.  his uncle had the same issue they did the same ting open with stent, I am keeping fingers crossed and hope that it was the Appendix and hernia that could have cause these issues of going to hospital every three months.  Anyway good luck to you all and God Bless you all. This is what has pulled us through alot. TC HG  when they had to clam the stomach for proceure it left a mark.
  • Posted

I had a 6cm AAA  removed in July 2015 and a double bypass performed during the same procedure; I'm 54. My surgery was performed by opening up the chest; I was ready to return to work after three months. My surgeon didn't give me the option of a procedure using a stent, due to the added complexity that he was unsure whether he would also need to replace the aortic root and the existing mechanical aortic valve. In the event he didn't.

Personally I would be guided by the opinion of the surgeon. If he is confident he can successfully complete the job using a stent then all well and good. If he feels opening the chest provides a better chance of success in the long run then I'd go with his opinion, he after all will have more experience in what is best than any of us? 

it's already been mentioned that a stent is more of a temporary procedure. I can't specifically comment on that, however if this is the case then I would certainly consider whether I would want to potentially go through the angst of another procedure a few years down the road if open chest surgery got the job done, with less chance of any future cardiological adventures.

Finally, sorry to read about your post-op infection experience Martin, I have been fortunate enough to go through my previous ordeals in two separate hospitals without any issues, sometimes I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Hope my comments help in some way Jimbo. Best of luck with your adventure, I'm sure it will work out fine, whatever option you ultimately take.

• Posted

Hi Jimbo, My hubby had a AAA it was 5.4 when he underwent his operation in 2015,and his uncle close to 80 had one done in the same year, a few months apart hubby as 55 at the time, Hubby took longer to heal as he has weak stomach muscles. they both had open as there was thrombus and Dr was not wanti g to take a chance with going trhough the groin they both had stens placed, Stent will be used to strenghten the agrea and let the blood flow through hubby was almost 15 days in hospital while Uncle was 7 day, it took longer for my hubby to heal as they say the bowel is a very sensitivy area and does not like to be moved around. If you do it through the groin you will be in only for a couple of days healing is quicker unlike the open. One year after they both got hernias my hubby had another operation for hernia on the 6th of October 2016 and his Uncle has two hernias and is waiting to undergo one. They ahd to clamp the area in order to get to the AAA and that left a mark, we went fora 1 year check after doing a CT with Contrast they said there is another and that there is also a disection doctor said that it was just the mark where the clamp was placed. it is about 2 to 3 cm, hoping and praying that everything will be well, his uncles has had no issues so it depends on the individual person.  Hope this information helps, Good Luck and have faith in a higher power, it helps you and the faily to get through. God Bless you all and all the Best. Keep us posted  
    • Posted

Let me get this straight. Both your husband and his uncle had the open procedure, correct?

you also mentioned that they both had stents. I'm confused.

did the same Doctor do the surgery on both of them. How often will they have to do the ct with contrast?

• Posted

hi, further to my last post, i had a further operation in august 2016 to repair a massive hernia caused by my 2 abdominal surgeries. this was done as keyhole, i am left with a massive lump above my navel that makes me look pregnant which i hate. my surgeon will not risk any cosmetic procedure due to risk. i am hoping to do some tummy exercises in the near fjture. by the way my surgeon suggested that the stent option would only hold for around 10 years which is why i chose open surgery. Martinp
  • Posted

What we were told in the options when it comes is:

With the one...if they needed to go in again at some time- that you probably don't want the procedure that they have to go in and open the chest again. So the other option is better.

• Posted

i"m not for sure what your telling me could you clear it up for me, please

• Posted

There seems to be confusion here a tripple A is an Abdominal Aortic Anurysum and nothing to do with the chest it is in the tummy area behind the stomach & bowel. There is no need to  "Crack the Chest"

M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.