Struggling for 10 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

As soon as I close my eyes I feel as if something is getting closer and closer even though nothing is here plus i start to flex my muscles and panic. It got to the point where I only fall asleep when my body cannot physically stay awoken. I'm claustrophobic and afraid of dark, but I have a decent sized white room and I sleep with lights. Also when I'm alone I shiver and run around the house as fast as I can not looking behind because I fear seeing some kind of monster... When will this stop? What do I do? I don't be line in monsters and stuff like that plus I'm 20 years old and cannot take it anymore... Also it's impossible to wake me up with sound- I need to be touched firmly. Please help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grace, You're obviously in a state of high anxiety. This isn't uncommon among people of your age. I was a bit the same way when I was young - my worries about UFOs went on into my early 20s!

You're quite right not to believe in monsters, ghosts and anything of that kind. All your "monsters" are being created by your own unconscious mind.

I'm guessing the reason it's so hard to wake you is that you're sleeping so little because of your anxiety, you fall into a very deep sleep once you do drop off.

I understand why you're sleeping with the lights on, but I suspect this isn't actually helping with your sleep patterns. Human beings were designed to sleep in the dark. Maybe you could gradually wean yourself off this? I don't like to sleep in total darkness, as I can get disorientated if I wake from a deep sleep, but I find it's enough to leave the curtains open a crack to let in a little light from outside.

Finally, you don't say whether you've seen a doctor about this. If you haven't, it might be a good idea to go and get a general check-up. You shouldn't worry about mentioning your problems to a doctor - they won't assume you're crazy but they might be able to help you.

Looking back to when I was your age, I honestly think this is just a phase you're going through, which you've got a bit out of proportion. Lots of young people suffer similar fears, but don't mention them to their friends for fear of looking silly. You've taken the first step in talking about it on this forum. Now go and see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Grace,

I strongly suggest that you should see a psychologist or psychiatrist. They are professionally trained people. During your appointment, the psychologist or psychiarist will ask you questions. Please try to be open and truthful in aswering the question. Do not worry with your answers they are professionally bound to keep all the information related to you in confidential.

Sheery

• Posted

Hi Grace,

In addition to my previous comments, sometimes people think of something incredible that is not present. There are many reasons for this. This may be brought about by present life's condition or past experiences that happened.

Again, when you see the psychologist or psychiatrist, please be truthful when you answer his/her questions. Do not worry they are bound professionally to keep information related to you in confidential. They are professionally trained to help you with your concern, fear or anxiety.

Sheery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.