Dyshidrotic Eczema sharing my experience

Posted , 11 users are following.

I developed DE around Feb 2016. Although I've always had mild eczema my whole life.  I would get some spots here and there on my hands, which would usually clear up.  My problems with DE started to appear as my regular eczema, but I noticed this time I would get blisters and fluid building up. It started on my palms then spread pretty much throughout all my hands.  To make a long story short, 6 months later there was no improvement, all my fingers and palms were inflammed, cracked and weeping.  At that time my derma was prescribing me a topical steroid cream and ointment.  This did not work.  At this point he put me on 5mg of prednisone (oral steroid) and a faster absorbing oil based steroid cream.  Fast forward 3 months and my hands are all cleared up.  But this come at a cost.  When while on and tapering off the Prednisone, I developed facial acne and folliculitis.  Which I am still battling til this day. I've been off Prednisone now for a month and its side effects are starting to go away.  So what I have learned so far from my treatment is, the combination of the Prednisone and the oil based topical steroid worked but at a cost.  If I had to do it again I would not have gone on Prednisone, its side effects and coming off the drug does to much to your hormones (adrenal glands) that its not worth it, although in times of desperation you are willing to try anything to get DE cured. Other things I have worked for me that may be helpful to others, stop popping blisters and stop picking or peeling your skin.  For me, popping it made my condition worse.  I've read that popping blisters makes it spread even more, i did not believe this, but it appears true for me.  Also, stress and sleep has a big thing for me.  Stress is hard to control, but when I'm stressed it makes my condition worse, the irony is the reason i get stressed is more because of DE, so how to you reduce your stress!  Hope this helps anyone out there by sharing my experience.  My condition at this moment is in remission.  I know DE is not curable but at this point its manageable.  Right now I'm still using topical steroids twice a day to keep it from flaring up.  But really I think I can cut this down to once a day.  Also for the past six months my derma has had me wash my hands with oatmeal soap and use a milk based moisturizer.  Heavy creams, loitions or ointment seem to make my condition worse.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark. Was interesting to read what youve said.  Ive only been suffering since Nov with this on my hands and feet.  It has been driving me insane with the itching and I read about popping the blisters would help the itching.  Although that worked it actually spread it worse, so a viscious circle. All the heavy creams the gp prescribed seemed to make it worse to.  I have been using fusidic acid for a couple of days now and the improvement is immense. Apart from that I am trying normal E45 cream now.  Will give the oatmeal soap a go to.
  • Posted

Hi, I totally sympathise with you , I also have DE (pompholyx eczema ) I had huge blisters on my hands and feet and was hospitalised for 2 days due to the risk of infection. I was put on 40mg of prednisone and have just come off steroids after 4 months. My DE is also caused by stress and I'm trying to find some more natural remedies rather than having to take steroids again (side effects were vile ) I'm using steroid cream at the moment but it doesn't seem to be doing much. You're totally right, the stress of having the eczema causes more stress, it's a vicious circle!

• Posted

Hi Mark - can sure relate as I too have this. On right palm and 2 fingers. Usually flares up every winter for last 10 years - for whatever reason flared up especially bad this past winter. Will not take oral steroids again (took them 12 years ago for a painful thyroid problem) however as you say there is a cost to that. Won't go into it here.

Twice this past winter my hand got infected and had to go on antibiotics. Last prescription about 4 weeks ago and seemed to help the DE a bit.

There is no cure only managing it. 2 things I am having some success with.

1. Emu oil (in Canada can purchase it at Jean Coutu pharmacy)

2. For the itch and to soften skin do Emu oil absorbs I put boiling water in a bowl then place affected hand over the bowl and place dish towel over hand and bowl and keep there for 15 min.

When itching is totally out of control I have put baking soda or apple cider vinegar in water as hot as I can stand it and soak hand. It'll sting a bit but far better than itching and it does take itch away for about 24 hours. However this doesn't help heal - just control itch.

I also wear a cotton glove most of the day and night.In last 4 weeks slowly started to see improvement. However I normally see improvement every summer as weather warms up and I am able to let the sun shine on my hands.

Sure wish I could live someplace warm all year round as I think this would be my answer for keeping this horrible problem at bay.

If I had $1 every time someone told me to just stop scratching I'd be rich - lol.

I am new in this site. Been on here for cataracts but thought I check here too for anyone else's suggestions for DE.

• Posted

Hi, was just reading your reply. Have you never considered getting a small medical grade UV-B lamp? You could use it twice a week for (say 5 min or) so to ameliorate your skin disorder during the winter months.
    • Posted

Rthanks DanR - my mom has one of those lamps.  I perhaps should look into that.  I have had my bouts with skin cancer so I always weigh benefit to those lamps (or sun) with risk of more skin cancer.

This winter - just starting all is good for moment.  Haven’t had an outbreak in months.  Hoping this year (predicting milder temps) will be better.  I keep with emu oil and now have gotten into essential oils and using those too.  Fingers crossed (no pun intended) this will be a better winter.  Headed to a sunny destination for a bit this year too so hopefully that helps.  Saw my family doctor not long ago and she thinks the more severe flare ups due to menopause years too - affects the skin apparently.  Also thinking this has something to do with my early onset of cataracts.  

• Posted

Hi Mark and co. I too was diagnosed with DE about 18 months ago and went to see a dermatologist privately who prescribed Prednisalone following a biopsy confirming eczema. Yes it worked but then when I stopped it after 12 weeks, I suffered big time on hands, legs and lips. I joined a Facebook group which promotes no steroid use as apparently it causes worsening eczema. I am now over a year without steroids and find that by protecting my hands ( e.g. avoiding cleaning products, wearing gloves when preparing veg etc) when they show signs of eczema, my flare ups are minimal. A recent spell in hospital which saw me on antibiotic drip also caused a huge flare up but that has now disappeared. I would say avoid steroids if you can and use emollient creams etc when a flare occurs.
  • Posted

Hi Mark!

So glad to have met someone who suffered the same dermatitis as me. I had my first experience with DE almost two years ago but i've had atopic dermatitis all over my body ever since I was a month old but have never thought of reaching out to the community.

My DE were all over my palms and soles and perhaps caused a long lasting atopic dermatitis on my palms and soles now. You're totally right about the stress cycle! I was terrified when I first got DE as I was unfamiliar with this type of eczema and found that the more you itched the more the DE spread and it would also thicken the skin of my palms/soles making it hard to do everyday tasks.

I had the same oral steroid being prescribed to me and it worked like a charm but that charm only lasting for a week or so. The side effect i received was weight gain from the medication but i'm fortunate enough that that is the only effect it had. The steroids furthermore were very short termed as my eczema was on full-flare the weeks after.

Sometimes I think that i'll live to my adult life suffering from this and that scares me. It's financially draining and emotionally taking its toll on me. But i'm trying to find natural remedies such as the use of ACV and coconut oil as well as aloe vera; hopefully that and a change of diet should help me! Please wish me luck and I hope your eczema also clears away! Stay strong!

• Posted

Hi There,

I've been suffering from pompholyx on the sole of my left foot for nearly 5 months now. It started as a very small intensely itchy patch & has now spread to an area which is at least 5 times bigger 😩 I've tried steroid cream, dermoil , e45, a fungal cream, coconut oil, & soaking my foot in a solution of potassium permanganate. Nothing works!! I have been under tremendous stress for some time & im suffering from depression. It is a vicious circle, the more I worry, my anxiety levels increase & then my pompholyx gets worse 😩 It is now affecting my daily life - it's painful to walk. I asked my gp for a referral to a dermatologist & she said they will laugh me out of there! (Her actual words) my question in return was how bad do I need to get?? Not being able to walk at all??!! She said i was in for the long haul, it will take along time to clear up! Great, more stress!! I feel for anyone who has this, it's not nice.

• Posted

Hi - I suffer from atopic eczema on my hands. One thing that has helped me with the itch is to get a pan of boiling water with a teaspoon or two of sea salt in it then I place my hand just over the pan with a tea towel over it like a tent. Leave for minimum of 10 mins . Itch goes away and leaves my pores open to apply moisture. I have been using Emu oil. My eczema is worse in winter so I am going to keep doing this in the fall and hope this winter is better than last.
    • Posted

Try live non fat yoghurt rubbed in and allowed to dry. If it works fornyou as it did for me, let people know. I posted more detail below.
  • Posted

Hi

... I have had this problem for more than a year now. but now seem to be conquering it. The problem started with a fungal nail on one finger ... actually I think it developed because I used tea tree oil on my fungal nail.

To cut a very long story short, I have tried various antifungals, steroid cream and iodine cream, and hydrogen peroxide which conveniently turns fungal infection white, showing you where it is. All of them worked to an extent but in every case as soon as the application was stopped it came back, and sometimes worse. I managed to keep it under control but not to get rid of it. Then I heard a program on the radio about applying yoghurt to fungal infestions and tried that.

The result has been by far the best so far and I have had no real irritation for weeks. So, naturally enough, I have tried different kinds of yoghurt. It has to be live yoghurt ... using some that I found out had been pasteurised had a bad effect. And it is better if it is fresh. AND it is much better if it is non fat. Apply the yogurt to your hands as if you were washing them and let it dry before going to bed .... and after washing in the mornings and after washing your hands, like a hand cream. If you do it carefully it is not even noticeable, but it will leave a thin dry film on your skin.

Getting this kind of yoghurt isn't always easy and I tried buying some non--fat milk and innoculating it with live yoghurt and leaving overnight in a warm place. That worked really well and you can make up just a few 10s of mls at a time so it could be more convenient. You don't need much. One note of caution... to start with as the thickened skin around the nails dissolved (?) with the yoghurt application I got some open cracks. These healed fine but were sore for a few days. By the way, the fungal nails disapppeared and cured long before the rash disappeared. This is a treatment that requires regularity and persistence. A note of caution ... I am sure some people will be allergic to yoghurt, so if you are and get a bad reaction, stop! But this has worked really well for me and is a huge relief.

I am not quite

confident about weaning myself off the yoghurt completely yet but there is no immediate resurgence with leaving off treatment ... could this be because I have colonised my skin with yoghurt bacteria?

• Posted

Hi --- I am replying to my own post. I have completely cleared the DH Eczema form one hand and very nearly from the other using non-fat live yogurt and applying as if it were a hand cream and allowing to dry.  There were persistent patches on the tips of two fingers around the nail. I bought plastic finger stalls from Amazon and put live fat-free yogurt in them and applied them before going to bed. One week of this and the remaining hand is very close to free.  Dampness overnight previously led to flare ups. Dampness with yogurt calms everything down. My problem is associated with fungal infection and yogurt + finger stall for fungal nail is incredibly effective -- I would be fascinated to know if other people who try the same approach get as good a result as I have. For any medical people I am a 63 year old male and made by living through science, hence observational and experimental approach to the problem.
    • Posted

Thanks for your post.  I have yet to try anything that works.  Mine seems to glare up during cold months which we are pretty much headed into now.  Only relief I have found from the itching is boiling water with sea salt in it and to hover hand over it with a towel over it to keep the steam.  For whatever reason it takes the itch away but does not cure it.  The only other thing that has brought moderate success is emu oil when it is in the drying stage.

Going to try live yogurt.  Does plain Greek yogurt work?  What brand do you use?

• Posted

I put foderma serum on my hands at bedtime, put on cotton gloves to cover it.. It helps my  skin stay hydrated  for long time.  I would recommend it to anyone with dry sensitive skin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.