What can I expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am schedule for surgery on January 12, 2017.

I was found to have multiple partial tears of my Achilles,calcification forming in the tendon,and a hagglers deformity.

They are doing an FHL due to my weight,and being diabetic.

What can I expect from this surgery and recovery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jaydee,

I think you will find everyone has a somewhat different experience depending on the nature of the injury, the complexity of the surgery, and the overall condition and age of the patient. 

I can tell you about my experience, and I am sure others will chime in. I am 67 YO male and was in reasonably good condition when I ruptured my right Achilles during a Crossfit class-just pushing off to do some sprints, nothing exotic. 

I was injured on 29 Jul 16 and had surgery soon after on 2 Aug 16, so I am about 20 weeks postop. Doc used a minimally invasive technique which left a 1" transverse incision just below the rupture. Full anesthesia and a nerve block that lasted all through the day after surgery. I checked in to hospital abou 1:30 PM and was home by 6:30 PM--a friend drove.

I was in a stiff splint for a week, then a boot with lifts for about 8 weeks, non weight bearing for about the first 4 weeks in the boot, then gradual weight bearing until I was out of the boot about week 8. 

Took some Rx'd pain meds for a couple days after nerve block wore off (kind of like novacaine from dentist), then Tylenol for another few days. Pain was not all that bad. Went to work a week after surgery, kept some ice packs there in freezer

When boot came off, I found my shoe would not fit because of swelling around ankle and foot. Had to buy a couple pair a size bigger. 

Started PT 2x week right after I got the boot. Very slow progress at first, but did the exercises from the protocol regularly and gradually regained most of the flexibility and range of motion. Biggest surprise was how quickly my leg and foot atrophied, and the amount of strength I lost in the boot. 

Lots of folks report some numbness around heel, ankles, and small toes. This persists for quite a while, and is associated with disturbance of nerves from swelling and surgery. I am still feeling this at times, although my swelling has subsided, but not disappeared entirely. 

Things that really helped me:

good ergonomic crutches (mobilegs) 

ice often

PT

discussing any concerns with doc or PT

several pair of good compression socks

getting back to work as soon as doc says it is ok

getting back to the gym and doing what I could. Stationary bike is good way to get some aerobics in, and you can do it with boot!

keep a positive attitude. It can get discouraging at times, and there are some setbacks along the way? strength is last to return, swelling last to disappear. Could take 8 months or more. You WILL recover. 

Best wishes for smooth surgery and complete recovery!

• Posted

Hi Jaydee-

50 YO athletic female.  Surgery to remove scar tissue (suture bridge technique) and calf muscle was cut in order to lengthen it to relieve the pulling on the tendon.  Surgery was on Oct. 12

-fiberglass cast 2 weeks

-boot 2 weeks (non weight bearing)

-boot to walk 2 weeks with help of crutches if needed

- shoe one hour day 1, then 2 hours, and so on

-walking now but with a limp (this is a long process, gotta be patient)  I'm only at about 3 months post op and this will take at least another 3 to 6 months

After cast removal, I had a lot of swelling, still some, but better each day.  Standing on it makes it swell.  I also had a lot of redness and warmth in foot.  Dr. said it was totally normal, though it was frustrating.  Numbness and tingling on top of foot by toes.  This has been the most upsetting, but I've been told it will take a long time to subside.

Try not to eat foods that cause inflammation, this helped me a lot.  Alcohol is a bad trigger for it.  I took Tumeric pills and they have really worked.  Drink lots of water.

Most important, and I don't follow this daily because I am a cry baby, BE POSITIVE.

Good luck,

Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.