Symptoms Post-Catheter Ablation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! I am new to this group. 

I had catheter ablation for SVT Dec 16 (I'm in New York City). My EP Cardio seemed confident that the procedure went well. From everything I have read and spoken about with my doc/nurses, I am aware that the recovery time can be upwards of 3 (+) months. That being said, the last three days I have had very regular, though not strong, palipations and a few PVCs. They are not debilitating like they were prior to ablation, but they are annoying and exhausting. I am 33, a mother of three, and we are very healthy and active, so this has put a damper on our overall lifestyle the last year as we saught diagnosis, etc. 

Are the regular palpitations (and PVCs) to be expected in recovery even if the procedure was a success? I was on Metoprolol for a couple of months before the ablation, but was told to stop it post-procedure, so I am no longer on beta blockers (they didn't really help me anyway). What are some ways some of you coped with continued symptoms during recovery period? Is it in the "normal" spectrum to expereience this many palpitations even two weeks out, or more? I will see my doc for follow-up early February, and while I am not worried, I guess I would just like some comfort in knowing that this is "normal" and to be expected! Thank you all so much! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm about to have a catheter ablation for wpw and svt soon, I talked to the ep and he told me I would still feel palpitations even after the procedure and that it was normal. I've also read a few things online that you still will get palpitations. He also said that a lot of people even with out heart problems have palpitations, like even if you drink coffee or energy drinks n stuff like that, I feel like as long as you don't get those racing heart beats you should be fine.

• Posted

Thanks. I guess I am just highly sensitive at the moment to even small amounts of caffiene (ie, hot chocolate), etc. Heart rate not tachy, but stays between 84-93bpm (normal resting around 69-72). Takes a while for me to come down from faster rythym too post-ablation. Will continue to monitor without fretting (or at least try!). 
  • Posted

Hi

I had my ablation Nov 14 and I had exactly the symptoms you mentioned.

I'm a 44 year old guy, otherwise fit and well living in Cornwall, England.

I also work in the health service over here and it's common to have palpitations, heavy heart beats, even a racing feeling that doesn't start an SVT.

Your heart is healing and it's settling down.

For the first month to 6 weeks I had quite a lot of it, but by month 3 mine was gone. 2 years later and still gone.

Without sounding too cheesy, the more you think about it the more you'll notice it. If you're looking to buy a Toyota, that's all you'll see on the road!

Relaxation, plenty of fluids, ease off on cardiac irritants - you know the stuff, chocolate, caffeine and alcohol. Not for ever, just a few weeks to let your newly improved ticker settle down.

It's common, don't worry and look forward to being SVT free.

Hope that helps and best wishes.

Chris

• Posted

I'm not sure what pvc's are but from all I've read here and experienced post ablation which was April 12th of this year.. It sounds very normal. I still get them. Feels strange and a little scary at times but it's not often. I know if I don't eat when I should I get hard beats.. And if I eat and don't burp it also gives me weird feelings in my chest. But I don't believe any of it is dangerous. Compared to what we've experienced pre ablation we're doing great. Give yourself 6 months to feel better and heal . They actually say it can take up to 1 year .Remember your heart was burned . It's irritated right now. Relax and give it time to heal. Good luck 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.