Post surgery problem.

Posted , 2 users are following.

After my bowel cancer surgery I developed a pain in the incision so went to Dr. He prescribed anti inflammatory tablets. I thought it was adhesions or something. I was sitting in the car when suddenly felt  a sort of wrench, hard to describe really and the pain went instantly. Great! Everything has unstuck? It turned out that the wound had opened, muscle wall? As you have guessed, a hernia soon appeared and grew very large until I needed a repair using mesh. Shame it wasn't done when it was smaller perhaps. No problems with the repair - it was two years ago. Just sharing my story. It might have been best to get a second opinion after the inflammation diagnosis when it was the pulling on the stitches which finally gave way. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes. But probably would have given away anyway.
    • Posted

Hi. Yes, it was going to give way but until the hernia appeared nobody realised what had happened. I probably didn't describe the symptoms very well. And being in the public system, you just have to wait your turn for surgery. It must be hard sometimes to give an accurate diagnosis - my bowel cancer wasn't discovered until a CT scan, then it was classed as an emergency and I was in theatre very quickly.

• Posted

John, I realize that most on this forum are from the UK.  I see a huge difference compared to the health care in USA.  Many in this country want socialized medicine but the quality of health care in this country is generally excellent.  I am quite pleased in the quality of health care I have received.  My appendix ruptured on a cruise in the Atlantic Ocean and was airlifted to the Azores.  My surgery was on San Miguel Island.  The quality was great but the hospital was like a hospital in the 1960's in the US.  The care in my country is so much more advanced it is shocking.  The health care system in the Azores did save my life of which I am greatful.  

Upon returning home I have had two surgeries and an intestinal obstruction 4 day hospital stay.  We pay for insurance monthly but we do have excellent care.  I belong to Kaiser Permanente and couldn't be more pleased with this system of healthcare.  Upon reading the various posts on this forum, I would prefer to keep the system we have.

Thank you for your candid responses.

• Posted

Hi. That would have been a frightening experience! I live in New Zealand and have no complaints about the care I received using the public hospital. The facilities, skill and follow up service was excellent. I had private insurance for many years but found the premiums too costly as I approached retirement age and had to rely on national superannuation. (The  cost increased with age, unfortunately when you are more likely to need the cover.) 

I know that if I need further treatment requiring a hospital stay, I would be well looked after. Yes, there can be a wailing time for non urgent surgery, but in my case the bowel cancer surgery was performed about three hours after the scan showed the problem! The home care later was excellent.

Best wishes for a healthy 2017, only 30 hours away here. 

• Posted

That is indeed good to know that you were well cared for.  My understanding is in GB there is so much immigration from Arab countries that the healthcare system cannot keep up so the quality there suffers.  

In the US we have Medicare which is government supported if you are over 65.  I turn 65 in July so I will save lots then.  

I still find it amazing what others say on this forum showing that they are not getting answers from their healthcare system.

Take care and hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. On a completely unrelated health matter, I recently was convinced that I needed my hearing checked. It turned out that I had a 20% hearing loss due to work related causes and age. (Huh!) I applied for and was granted the full cost of hearing aids, about $3,000 NZ. I know this has nothing to do with the above conversation, but thought you would find it interesting. 

Your Medicare system for 65+ sounds like an excellent scheme. 

• Posted

None of our health insurance covers hearing aids.  I think Medicare may cover hearing aids, but not sure.  My husband has hearing aids and they cost about $2,000 US.  
    • Posted

And to add to the above, the 25.4% hearing loss was covered by Accident Compensation and Ministry of Health subsidy. Yes, I'm confused too. It covered all the consultation fees etc as well. Thanks for the posts. Over and out. confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.