Where exactly is pain on diverticula?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have constant pain in lower left of pelvic reagion at the same height of right side where appendix is, it's pretty down low. Doctors can't figure out what is is. Only last ct scan done at ER showed some diverticula. Trying to sort things out and wanted to know if it could be diverticulitis.

Pain is constant for 2 months straight.

Is that where the descending colon is?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,it sounds like diverticula disease,Yes it could be the descending or sigmoid colon that's affected , a colonoscopy is the best way for a diagnosis, not very

Hi there,yes it could be the descending or sigmoid colon that's affected ,it does sound like diverticula disease  the best way to find out is a colonoscopy,do you have constipation or diahreoa ? If so try some Fybogel or Lepicol this will regulate you and give your colon some help.Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi! I did a colonoscopy in October but I wasn't cleaned well, the doctor didn't mention anything about diverticulas, a month ago a I went to ER and another doc mentioned diverticula but no disease! I am just trying to understand what is this constant pain! I am seeing a gyno that thinks is guy and my gastro thinks it's gym related..... frustration!!!!!

• Posted

I meant my gastro thinks is gyno related and gynecologist thinks is gastro related
  • Posted

It will help to give your bowel a rest by liquid diet for 24 hrs this helps me when I am having a flare up
  • Posted

Lidia sorry for your pain. You need to confirm diverticulitis and being from the USA I had a CT scan with dye contrast to confirm divetic.

Get yourself to the ER or your Doctor and get it done ASAP. Once they confirm diveric your going on antibiotics for 2 weeks until it's cleared up.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Lidia

Sorry to hear you are in pain.  It is certainly in the right place for Diverticulitis, but unfortunately the symptom is also similar to other diseases like irritable bowel syndrome.  I guess this is why the doctors are having difficulty figuring it out.  As the scan showed diverticula you do have Diverticulosis, which is just another name for diverticula in the colon, and is usually symptom free.

I have Diverticular Disease, which is diverticula plus an abnormal intestinal muscle, and have had 4 bouts of Diverticulitis, where the diverticula become infected and inflamed.  Symptoms vary but can include pain, bloating, irregular bowel habits, passing of blood.  Unfortunately, it is very common for the pain to last weeks or months as your insides heal.  

Until you get a confirmed diagnosis this is not really much help.  The suggestion of a liquid diet should help, together with a suitable painkiller recommended by your doctor and a good old fashioned hot water bottle.  If you get a confirmed diagnosis of Diverticulitis or Diverticular Disease this forum has many suggestions on diet, bowel regulation and pain relief.  I personally take psyllium husk (Fybogel in UK, Metamucil in USA), pure Aloe Vera juice and probiotics and found they greatly reduced my pain and regulated my bowels.  I also follow a gluten free, low fat, high soluble fibre diet, as gluten and fat are my triggers.  Other people find nuts, seeds, pips, popcorn are triggers.

I hope you get an answer soon.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.