How much have you drank and for how many years? How bad is your liver today? and when you stopped ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've drank 6-8 beers 500ml 5% or a bottle of wine 12% and a couple of beers but only in the evenings never in the day. for 10 years with very few days off how much damage do you think I may have done? Active male 32 . Has any one drank more and been ok? Sober now a month.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

As a woman, I was averaging around 65-75 units of alcohol a week, mostly vodka chased with Stella Artois beer and cheap sherry. 

My drinking history was 20+ years and within a year of dealing with my problems, I was at the doctors for an unrelated health issue during which I had my bloods and liver checked.

Unbelievably, from those results, I have been told by my doctor that my liver is healthier now than it was 10 years ago.

• Posted

Hi Kevin..I drank more than you for 30 yrs and stopped 4 years ago..had all clear last year..no issues..amazing...feeling great..try 1st January with a new start...I did this 31st Dec 2012..not looking back. Feeling great. Best of luck Kevin from Robin
  • Posted

3 years daily - 10+ premixed bourbans 2 weeks ago was fine touchwood.
    • Posted

hi Danielle..do I understand that you stopped drinking 2 weeks ago?? please advice..Happy New Year to you....regards Robin
    • Posted

No had to do a medical as been having heart issues.

Really trying to dtoo for the new year. 1 day down.

• Posted

23 years averaged 90 units per week increased to 140 can do dry time when motivated not regarded as serious enough for proper help liver ok but I imagine it's based on personal physiquekeep fit and have busy life just best to have alternative as now after 30 unit binges can continue so best thinking of how to stop triggers

• Posted

I drink about 5 to 6 nights a week, most of the time it's either four cans or a bottle of wine, the weekend it will be more. In fact your alcohol intake is pretty similar to mine, I've been drinking this way for a similar length of time as well. 

Like you I'm writing on this forum as I'm more confused than concerned, are we alcoholics or are we just drinkers who feel the need to search for answers to our health worries. 

I hold down a fantastic job and find time to be a great family man, I also never have any black outs or nights where I'm collapsing through drink. The only time I'm ever really really drunk is on works nights out, in fairness with that situation, everyone is really p*ssed on them nights. 

I don't wake thinking about drinking, but I do crave a drink in the evening as I'm so used to doing it. 

Christmas time is the worst for me, my job allows me two weeks full paid holiday, so I pretty much drink every night, knowing I'm off work I will drink far more than I'm used to. Having said that I've found the time to exercise every evening before I have a drink. 

I just wish there was an easy way to get you liver tested, that way I could put the worry behind me. 

• Posted

Hi dfaz ... Had some good news today form the doctors blood test came back and the doctor said I have no signs of liver damage and amazingly im in perfect health. after all the drinking I've done 6-8 cans 5% or a bottle of wine with a few beers every single day for 12 years. Also over the past 12 years I would go out with friends on a Friday night and drink untold amounts. I'm still sober because I know even though the tests came back fine I know my liver must have damage and it needs time to heel. Also I love this new energy I've found from not drinking. Actually forgot how good it feels to be able to jump out of bed

• Posted

Hi there

My intake of drink is almost identical and like wise over the festive period it increases . I've never not been able to be a dad or go to work yet like yourself in the evening due to habit I find it hard not to have a beer or cider . I haven't had a drink since 2nd due to a diet I'm on, there's plenty of drink at home but I can resist. I want to limit having a beer to fri & sat only for now.

Question in my head is that I genuinely enjoy a beer and it's never had a real ill effect physically on me, are these guidelines just there to worry us ? I do feel that when I do abstain I have more energy and am perkier especially in the morning but I do miss a beer at night watching tv.

Going forward I do want to reduce intake but not stop totally , are we alcoholics or an abuser of drink ? I'd say later but I'm no expert .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.