Bunion Surgery - 5 weeks post op

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my bunion removed on my right foot 5 weeks ago. Surgeon broke two bones which have been pinned together and removed the lump. Recovery was going well with very little pain. Had x-rays after 2 weeks and all was healing well and then told to wear a heel shoe for a further 4 weeks and then I'll have another check up.

I don't always wear the shoe in the house if just walking from room to room but tend to walk on the side of my foot. Yesterday I completely forgot about the surgery and bent my toe back whilst i was kneeling and now it's quite painful today. I'm really worried I've ruined something now. I'm back for another x-ray next week anyway but does anyone know how easy/hard it is to re-break the bones or move the pins??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Asked my Dr the same questions!! He told me it would take a lot to cause damage that mt bones were healing and pins were secured. Getting new x-rays will ease your mind making sure all is OK
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, has eased my mind slightly. Hopefully the pain will go after day or two. So worrying as it really hurt at the time lol
  • Posted

Was told when scar tissue breaks up it will be painful for a few days but not to worry it's a normal part of healing and for sure it will break up at some point. Hopefully that's what happened.

• Posted

Karen, how are you doing?? Hope your pain has decreased!! Keep me updated
    • Posted

Hi, it's not too bad but still sore. Just have to wait until my x-ray on Thurs to make sure I haven't done anything.

• Posted

Karen, hope you got good news at your appointment today!!!
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for thinking of me. Appt went well and everything is still in place. It's still sore so he said to continue wearing my shoe till it feels better and then I can start wearing normal shoes again. Just need to find some that fit as my foot is still swollen!! But can drive again and slowly start getting back to normal.

• Posted

Happy to hear all went well at your appointment. Its

scary thinking we might have done something to set us back in the healing, its hard enough going through it once. I'm just over 11 wks and still having a hard time getting into shoes with the swelling. I had both feet done plus a hammertoe repaired on my rt foot.

I joined a wonderful group on facebook, I survived a bunionectomy, it has been very helpful, if your on facebook check it out.

• Posted

Oooo I'll have a look, thanks. I do have to keep reminding myself it's only been 6 weeks and I should expect all the swelling etc. It does just feel like a long slow recovery x

• Posted

Very slow recovery, some days are better than others but a lot better than the first 2 wks. I'm told its the nerves and muscles that take so long to heal. Good luck with your healing, keep me updated on how your doing, its always nice to hear your not alone in this long journey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.