I just had a lateral sphincterotomy done today after dealing with a Fissure for five months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today I had a lateral sphincterotomy performed after dealing with an excruciating and debilitating Fissure for the past five months. I tried everything from home remedies to prescription medications. Following the procedure today I am in intense pain and I'm terrified to have my first bowel movement. I hope this procedure helps me and that I feel better very soon .My life has literally been on hold for the past five months . Besides causing intense pain the Fissure was starting to affect me during urination and was giving me low back pain . I finally decided to have the procedure done because I could not live with it anymore and nothing was helping . I sure hope that I start to feel better soon and even though I'm in intense pain now I'm glad I had the procedure and then it will give me a chance to hopefully feel better . Until you've had a fissure no one understands how painful it is and how uncomfortable it makes you . It has affected my personal and business life . I hope that I never have to go through this ever again in my lifetime and that no one I know ever has to go through this . I have been chronically constipated my whole life in my surgeon feels that this contributed to the development of the Fissure along with hemorrhoids. For those of you that I've had the surgery will I start to feel better soon , have you had any side effects , did your surgeon discuss the chances of reoccurrence ? Thank you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I first want to give you a lot of credit for deciding to do the surgery...It is not an easy desicion, as there are some stories online that can discourage you from getting it, but in the end in my opinion it it better. 

So basically, this is how it went down with my surgery. I had to fast the day before the surgery because they had to put me under anesthesia. I went in, waited, and then they put me under and the surgery was done. I woke from the surgery with morphine in my system, although once I woke up it had worn off for the most part. They basically told me I could get another dose of morphine, which would basically knock me out again, or I could stay up and move to the other room to wait until I was ready to leave. So, i skipped the next dose of morphine and went to the other room. As I was laying on the bed, the pain bagan to set in. The next part may scare you a bit and discourage you, but getting through this part is just part of the process of gettting better. So when the pain started to settle in, the paiin almost flt worse then the fissure pain itself. I was not only dealing with the pain from the fissure, but from the incision and cuts that were done form the surgery itself. This being said, you have to take into consideratino that the surgery is cutting into your sphincter muscle, so pain will come, but this is with any surgery. Unfortunately, with this surgery, it is in a very sensitivie area so the pain will be a little more intense. Some things I did in the hospital to deal with the pain was put ice on my butt, I bit down on a washcloth to decrease the tension that I would put into my butt area and to transfer the tension to my jaw biting into the cloth. They did give me percoset, but honestly it didn't help me a bit. I still felt the pain until I was able to fall asleep. The lady next to me said that the percoset made her feel that the ceiling was the floor and the floor was the ceiling, so I guess it affects some people differently than others. I also will recommend listening to music right after or watching a movie to distract yourself from the pain. SO that was basically it from the hospital. I couldn't leave the hospital until I could pee though,  which was not easy since I had so many drugs in my system and could  not really push to hard as it was painful and I did not want to upset the area.

Eventually I peed and was able to leave. Then, I took some percoset that night and slept. The next day I felt no pain, as I did not poop at all, and as with before the surgery,  the pain  only comes when  you poop. Do not be afraid if you do not poop the day after the surgery as you probably fasted the day of the surgery and there is probably no food for you  to poop out yet. 

So the day after that I had to go to the bathroom. The first time you go to the bathroom will be very painful, almost more painful than pooping with just the fissure because you are trying to poop through a fissure and a surgery, but that comes with  the territory. I will not hide that I felt like I was going to puke the pain was so bad WHILE pooping. I also recommend listening to music while pooping as this distracts the pain  and gives some motivation  not to be afraid. The reason on put emphasis on the WHILE is beause after the pain is very dull and nothing compared to the throbbing unimaginable  pain of an anal fissure. Within  the next two weeks, I progressively felt myself getting better, and by the 2nd week I went back to the doctor and he gave me the ok that I was all healed up.

I never had any incontinence, although the only thing I still have is that its a bit harder to hold in my farts sometimes. I did have some small leaking initially, and used gauze and adult diapers to take care of that. The leaking only lasted a few days. 

As far as food after surgery, I just kept to a well balanced diet. I take metamucil fiber supplement every day since, and I squat on the toilet all the time now. Make sure not to take too much fiber as this can irritate the area.

Hope this was enough information for you, and I really wish you the best of luck with your recovery...Noone should  have to go thorugh anything like this, but thank god we have means to take care of it with surgery.

Also, this is another post i put that explains some things that you might want to try in addition to the surgery. 

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Good Luck!!!

Sincerely,

Myles 

• Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly. I did not sleep all night. I am in alot of pain and nothing seems to alleviate it. I sure hope having this surgery will help me. I am terrified to have a BM and I need to go. Around 4 am I got up and nothing but blood came out ughhhhhh. I am drinking alot of water and using Mirilax. Thank you for all the suggestions. It is nice to know I am not alone with this issue.
    • Posted

It seems that maybe the blood coming out could be a mix of the blood from the surgery wound and from the fissure. I'm no doctor, but I woudn't worry too much about that as that seems the most probable cause of the blood. Yes, drink lots of water and the miralax will help. In about a week or two though, I would get off the miralax and sswithc to Metamucil. Im pretty sure miralax is a laxative where metamucil is a stool softener. 

Good luck! Hope you feel better!

• Posted

Thank you so much. This is awful. Happy New Year !!!
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling better! Happy New Year to you too!
    • Posted

What type of surgery is this? i had botox treatment for mine in 2013 now due to have again soon as fissure has returned with avengence thanks
    • Posted

I'm prettry sure it is called LIS for Lateral Internal Sphincteronomy. They basically cut your sphincter muscle which allows the fissure to heal as the sphincter muscle stops going into spasm.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Had mine done 2 weeks ago. I also had an abscess as well removed. Was in some pain the first week and the second week had problems with the incision. Every time i had a bowel movement, it would be a horrible burning and required sitz bath right away. Went back to the doctor and he worried it was still infected. This is the 3rd week and every thing is starting to feel better. Allot better. I feel if i pass gas that a little poo comes out. I hope this goes away. I have no confidence in public. It seems when i have to go. I really have to go. Hard to hold back a BM.
    • Posted

I have never experienced anything like this. This is horrible. I sure hope this surgery works. Get well soon. Happy New Year !!!!!
    • Posted

You will be fine. I was okay as far as the surgery. The only bad part was the infection. Without that all would have been great. Feeling terrific today. Easy to go to the bathroom. The one thing i found that was very helpful was warm wet cloths on the toliet or sitz bath. Also any product with Zinc Oxide to sooth pain after cleaning
    • Posted

Thank you. Hope you continue to do well .
  • Posted

Day 4 post op. Was constipated the entire time and today continuous diarrhea. Im taking Motrin, soaking in tub and using a heating pad. I have intense throbbing and pain ughhhhhhhhh.
  • Posted

dm5..  you sound alot like me roughly a year ago.  I had my LS and spincterotomy surgery this past March after struggling with the severe pain and re-tearing myself 3 times over nearly 4 1/2 months.    My life was also on hold and I was frankly desperate for a healing solution.  Let me give you encouragement.  Within 1 month I was fully convinced that the surgery did the trick and I was back to good.  By 3 months I was essentially fully healed and now ( 9 months from surgery) it's all a distant memory / nighmare.  I watched my diet pretty good for about 6 months after sugery and even now drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fruit/vegetables and just a balanced diet.  Exercise regulary, sleep more.  The main thing is generally take better care of yourself.  You will be fine.. manage your stress and don't let yourself get dehydrated.   Best wishes  Josh

• Posted

As I was telling you on my progress. Its been about a month now and I feel so much better. I feel something there all the time but know its healing fine when only a week ago I was getting worried. I had a bad senerio being I had a infection down there as well. Feel great today......
    • Posted

I am so glad that you are feeling great. I am still feeling horrible. Weak, tired and in a lot of pain. I feel the constant pressure and need to have a BM. No appetite at all. So frustrated and tired. Life is still on hold. Ughhhhh.
    • Posted

I have the opposite. As soon as I wat a meal, I almost immediately have to go. I find it harder to hold.

Maybe its a separate issue. IDK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.