Tapering the last few

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been tapering very, very slowly and am now down to 2mg from 20mg.  Still have some swelling in hands, but manageable. Would appreciate advice on how to taper from here. The 10% limitation doesn't really apply when taking 1mg tabs.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Still very very slowly! You can cut the tablets to get 1/2mg and then use the Dead Slow approach we go on about all the time to reduce the impact of the change of dose on your body. By repeating each stage you can slow the impact right down.
  • Posted

The same as you I have been tapering carefully.

It would be great to get a link for the slow tapering though. I already asked it here.

Would I have it I would send to you immediately because to help whoever in need is a must  for me.

At least try to limit the sodium in your diet using herbs, dried or fresh, ginseng, turmeric.

Your swollen hands are calling for an specific attention.

Take care. Best health wishes to you in 2017!

iellen

• Posted

I have stiff, sometimes painful arthritic hands (not PMR connected ). After a session at the local NHS physio and OT clinic I bought myself a therabath. It doesn't cure anything but the comfort from the hot wax is very welcome.

It's American manufacture but readily available in UK and got the thumbs up from the clinic.

I got mine from Parkgate Mobility and you almost ceratainly will be able to get VAT exemption

• Posted

Hi Daniel.  I'm now at 2.5 and kicking the tires to see if 2 will take.  It took two tries and three months to reduce from 3 to 2.5.  But I read about people who alternate their doses.  So I thought this time I would try, in the middle of the DSNS taper - see Eileen's post with the link, to alternate rather than moving directly into more frequent days with the new dose.  So after I taper to the two days old dose of dead slow taper I will try a couple of weeks of alternating the doses. That's the plan, anyway.  We'll see.  wink

• Posted

I've started doing that too and it does seem to help.

• Posted

I also follow a version of the DSNS method but because I've had a couple of flares while reducing I've slowed it even more.  I started reducing from 5mg to 4.5mg on November 16th with DSNS then after the first three weeks modified it a bit. I and am now at 4.5 mg for 2 days, 5mg for 1 day then 4.5mg again for 2days. If I'm feeling OK after 3 cycles of that dose I'll increase the 4.5mg to 3 days with 1 day at 5mg and do that for 3 cycles until I get to a week of 4.5. I'll then stay there for a week and if I'm feeling OK I'll begin the same routine to reduce to 4mg.

So far so good!!  As always, we need to follow the method that our own bodies are telling us.  I wonder if there are any two of us that have the same experience with this.

Hugs to all! I don't get many chances to be involved in the forum these days but I love to hear how everyone is doing, especially the successes.

🌸

• Posted

Yes - that is a stage at which slowing things right down is probably a very good idea. Unless you are very lucky - you are very likely to be approaching your Holy Grail, the lowest dose that manages the symptoms! 
  • Posted

Anhaga and Eileen mentioned their taper idea and I have also had good results with staying on alternate days for awhile.

I have also stayed at the various Dead Slow levels double the time; ie, repeating each step twice before moving onto the next one.  That way I still feel like I'm making progress even tho' it's at a very slow pace!

Once I got to 4 mg I found it best for me to reduce by 1/4 mg so I've been cutting my little white pills into quarters.  Easily done with a sharp knife.  I'm currently at 3 1/2 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.