Stopping Sertraline after 6 weeks - advice??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suffer from GAD and specifically Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) I was on Citalopram for 5 years and they really did Change your life and helped me greatly - up until the start of this year when they seemed to stop working. I had been on 20mg for the whole time I was taking it so thought maybe increasing would help - over approx 6 months I got to the top dose of 40mg but still felt bad so the doc lowered my Citalopram and then switched me to Sertraline - I just did a straight swap from 20mg of Citalopram to 50mg of Sertraline - I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for 6 weeks now and feel worse then I ever have in my life, suicidal thoughts, major anxiety. I want to stop taking them and wanted to know if I could just stop cold turkey as I've only been on them for 6 weeks or if I would need to taper off? I cannot take feeling like this anymore. Any help would be much appreciated

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Holy crap Amanda, I'm going through THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!

It is 615 AM and I'm still up. I just wrote this on another site (first time) and it was being stubborn, so I found this site. Look:

Hey -- I've been on Zoloft for almost 2 months and I don't think it's good for me. Insomnia, social disorders, odd fits of droziness and what not. I don't feel like me.

I was on citalopram for 5 years before this and it worked pretty damn well. I felt only recently that it stopped working, so I swapped to Zoloft (grass is always greener, right?)

I just read a lot of people don't like Zoloft and I want to go back to cetalopram. Of course I'll inform my doctor, but I would really appreciate other opinions.

Have others had problems (big ones) with Zoloft? Is it possible my citalopram was still continuing to work, I was just in a bad bad funk?

Thank you for listening

Evan

We are in the same boat -- You're not alone.

So -- I say we go back. I say we tell our doctors, go back to what worked and try changing our nutrition, fitness and other health habits. Amanda, I can't stand this Zoloft. I'm 27, in good shape, I work hard and keep trying to stay positive -- Zoloft has made me a different person.

Please reply and let's talk about this. I'm so happy to see I'm not alone with this.

• Posted

Hey Evan,

Thanks for replying!

This Zoloft is awful and definitely not for me! I had terrible side effects starting up on it also but never had any side effects when starting Citalopram all those years ago!

I'm definitely coming off them today - I know I should wait to see my doctor and do it under their supervision but right now I'm feeling like things can't get any worse so I'm just going to do it! I don't plan on starting Citalopram again though as I just want a break from all these medications and just see how I will feel medication free for the 1st time in years!!

I'm just debating whether to take 25mg for a few days before stopping or just go cold turkey?

Hope things get better for you x

• Posted

Right? --

I can't take these meds any more. I highly suggest going to 25 mg for at least a week first to prevent withdrawal symptoms, although I doubt you (or we) would have heavy withdrawals so quickly.

Definitely let someone know you're going to wean off your meds completely. You'll need someone to speak with and kind of relay how you're feeling and what not. It is NOT strange to have strong feelings when regulating off of an SSRI, so understand you might have mood swings and heavy emotions.

I'm going back to citalopram. Swapped over today -- this Zoloft is driving me insane.

Good luck and please let me know how things are going!

Evan

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Evan,

Don't know if you will reply to this but just wanted to know how you are getting on?

I have been completely med free for 16 days now and feel horrible to bo honest. Don't know whether to ride it out and see if I'm just experiencing 'withdrawal' and will feel better soon or if all the symptoms are actually anxiety and I should consider starting Citalopram again!

It would be great to hear how you are getting on x

• Posted

Hey Amanda,

You're not feeling well? These feelings after being medicated for as long as we were is normal. I know it's not fun, and Im truly, truly sorry to hear you're not doing well.

I got back on Citalopram, dumped Zoloft, and feel like the old me again.

I'm not one to promote unneeded medication -- if it's unneeded. You and I were on citalopram for a very long time. Maybe you should get back on it? I'm actually comfortable staying on this medication forever.

There's no reason to feel shame in how we feel, ever. You're doing the right thing by reaching out and talking about how you feel.

Please get back to me, okay? I'm sending happy vibes your way, I promise.

Evan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.