PIP Assessment

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well, I had my PIP assessment yesterday (30th Dec). It seemed to go very well. I say "seemed" because of the feedback other claimants have left on various forums, where they say the assessor was extremely nice only to find out when they get a copy of the report that the assessor has lied. 

She was cheerful, pleasant to speak to and she was quite happy for my son to take notes. She also came across as professional in the way she conducted the interview. She said the interview would take around 30-40 minutes.

She went over my illness, medication and hospital appointments first. Then I got the typical day question. I told her as much as I could without waffling which was difficult because I was so tired after the 40 minute trip and the usual bad night that my brain felt like fudge!. I sometimes forgot things and my son prompted me a couple of times but the surprising thing is she prompted me a couple of times as well! She could see how tired I was and my son got the distinct impression she was trying to help me. He also said I looked really ill and grey (not surprising). I think it may help if you actually do look ill on the day! 

After that she basically went through my form by asking all the questions in it. I answered as well as I could and kept it short most of the time. It wasn't hard for me to remember most of it, especially the important parts because I live it most days. 

She asked me how I got there, who drove and how long it took. After a few more questions and just as I was getting uncomfortable and starting to squirm in my seat, she said that was all she needed and we would hear within 8 weeks. If we hadn't heard anything after 6 weeks, she said to phone and find out the result.

I've been advised by other people to get a copy of the report asap just in case it goes to an MR. So even though it went well, I am preparing for the worst and will phone on Monday for a copy!

It's the waiting game now....

Anybody else had theirs? If you have, what was your assessment like?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad it's all over for you. Now the waiting begins. I've heard some horror stories but i'll be honest i've had to PIP assessments and both times the Assessment provider was very nice. The report came back honest and truthful saying exactly what i told her. No lies what so ever. I waited less than 2 weeks for the decision the first time. The 2nd time a decision was made in 4 days but that was for a review. Decision times do depend on the area you live and how much back log they have. It also depends how long it takes them to send both copires of your report back to DWP. Hopefully it won't get sent to audit. They don't always let you have a copy of the assessment report before a decision is made. I've heard a few stories where people have had to wait. Good luck and hope it's the news you want. Do let us know the outcome.

• Posted

Well I had the dreaded brown envelope through the letterbox yesterday (Sat) and they have refused me PIP and only awarded me 2 points for care. I'm furious and I will be following it up. Who do these people think they are?

I also got a letter from ESA and it seems I'm still entitled to that (support group), at least for now.

I'll be phoning the welfare rights dept at my local council first thing tomorrow to find out where I stand. Then I'll phone DWP for a copy of my report and take it from there.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I would advice you to ring and ask for the MR first because you only have 28 days from the date on the letter to get this in. Then put it in writing because we all know what DWP are like. Send any extra evidence you have. Most MR decision remain the same so be prepared to take it to tribunal appeal. It's a very long process. Never be fooled by these assesors when people say they were nice they're often pretending and trying to catch you out anyway they can.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

?I know how you feel they treat you as if your a liar and you take all the pills and put up with the pain for nothing. I have BPD, Degenerative spine disease, C.O.P.D, depression and anxiety I could go on. I don't think they understand what "Degenerative" means, and how can they make decisions in such a short time. And then we go onto the lie's,i actually thought they had got my report mixed up with somebody elses. I was wearing sunglasses its a BPD thing and I wear a back brace and walk with a stick but apparently my gait was normal? and I actually got on to a bed which I did not. Due to having BPD I don't trust anyone and I taped the interview and if you were to read the report and then listen to the tape you would realise how downright nasty and lying they are it was very upsetting, I felt in the interview she was laughing at me but I thought it may of been down to my BPD but obviousely I was right. I do not know what to do with the tape save it for my tribuneral I suppose,but surely it must be illegal for her to lie on a government document I have no intention of letting this go, not just for me but for all the other people who have gone through the same how they sleep at night I will never no. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do legally please do this behaviour has to stop and it was only due to my condition and untrust for people I taped it. Any media interested in blowing this scandal open please contact me as this is so unfair, contact me on here first. Good luck everyone and I will try and do what I can for all of us that have been made to look like liars. Big Love x

• Posted

HI,

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is make a complaint to the assessment providers about the lies that were told. They may or may not reply, my guess is they won't reply. Many many people are in the same boat as you about the lies that are told.

Did you have permission to record the assessment? If you did then you'll be able to use the tape as evidence, if you didn't have permission then it's doubtful that you'll be able to use it. This is because you MUST have permission before recording these assessments.

There's a lot of people that don't understand PIP and what it's all about. A person can have a diagnosis of multiple things but it won't make any difference. It's how those conditions affect you daily and evidence wiull help, especially if it proves those descriptors apply to you.

You don't say when you decision was made or where you are with the appeal stage. First step is the MR then if that fails and mostly they do, it'll be Tribunal. Appear at your tribunal will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 65% chance of success but those who have a paper based decision the chances are much less of a deciison in your favour. Time scales do vary a lot depending on where in the country you are. Some people accross the country are waiting over 1 year for a date.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

?If they had nothing to hide they would be open and tape the session giving you a copy as they do lie,i did covertly tape mine and I'm glad I did as she was so nice to my face and gave me a s**t report full of lies but ihave it all on tape and I will use it why shouldn't I she should not of lied on a government document and I will take this further if I have to. They cut my money in half its laughable, I cannot wait to get in that tribunal I really cant!

• Posted

HI,

You can try to use the recording that you secretly did but you won't be able to i'm afraid. This can only be used for your benefit and not at a Tribunal. The reason is because you did it in secret rather than ask their permision. If they had caught you doing this then your assessment would have been stopped, your file returned to DWP and you would have been refused that benefit.

It wouldn't have taken much to ring and ask for permission then you could have used the recording. For this you would have beed to identical tape or CD recorders and you would have had to hand 1 copy in at the end of the assessment. Shame you didn't do it this way really.

I must admit that i have actually never had a single lie told in any assessment i've had. Neither did my daughter who recently had her PIP assessment. I'm not saying they don't lie because i know they do.

Anyway, good luck to you.

• Posted

Like you my F2F was easy and the assessor was kind and understanding and at no point in my assessment paperwork did she lie. She did state I could walk 10 metres, which was an exaggeration because I cannot walk at all, I couid at the time only hop on a zimmer frame I have now progressed to crutches on a good day and a wheeled walker on days when I am wobbly LOL so don't think that its cut and dried and that you want be awarded it, I'm sure your PIP will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Patricia, Happy New Year to you.

I'm glad your assessment wasn't too bad for you and as you say, now it's the waiting game.

I had to go from DLA to PIP (I missed out of the cut off point by a month)  I felt that my F2F went well and the doctor who carried it out, seemed to be understanding of my problems, she actually knew the Consultant who diagnosed my ankylosing spondylitis.  I phoned for a copy of my report a few days after the assessment and received it within about a week or thereabouts.  I was very pleased that the report was accurate and about 4 weeks after the F2F was awarded enhanced rate on both care and mobility.

I hope the outcome is favourable for you, let us know how it goes. x

• Posted

I had my assessment end of december, im on sick due to an accident at work in march 2015, my meeting was pretty much the same as yours she was very pleasant to talk to.

I damaged my lower spine in my accident so cannot walk more than a few hundred metres before the constant ache becomes a pain that escalates more the further I walk, cannot sit down for more than 20 mins without the discomfort starting, and as for bending and lifting/carrying things I am unable to do anything like that in work enviroment. I cannot even travel in comfort in a car or bus as any bumps in the rd go through my spine like dhock waves.

I had a phone call today and guess what they said, yep u got it im fit for work.

I dont want to worry you but I believe expect the worse and hope for the best is the only way to look at it so things arnt as bad as a shock to you, ive been looking into things today and it seems most do not get the 15 points required to pass, but a lot do pass when they appeal against the decision, but this is extra stress that we shouldn't have to endure. Also it appears that these people doing the assessment get bonus's for everyone they say is fit to work, if this is true we arnt being sent to someone who has a completely unbiased view as this is wide open for abuse for those who are putting bonus's before the patients welfare, I am still trying to find more evidence regarding this matter.

Many Regards,

Richie.

• Posted

Hi Richard, you're talking about ESA the others on this thread are talk about PIP. They're 2 completely different benefits.

I'm sorry to hear you got found fit for work. Being put into 1 of the groups for ESA is extremely hard. With the Support Group it's not about scoring points. You have to prove you fit into one of the descriptors for the group. Anyway your next step would be to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you only ask 28 days from the date on the letter to ask for this so please be quick. You'll also need to put the request in writing backed up with more evidence if possible. It maybe a good idea if you took a look at the descriptors for the Support Group, if you haven't already done this. I'd also advice ringing the DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report so you know what was said. You can then challenge them. Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to tribunal appeal. CAB are very good with both of these so ringing them for helping is another good idea. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for that Richard. Actually, I am now expecting the worst since I was hospitalised at the beginning of the week. 

I was severely dehydrated and passed out in the bathroom bashing my head on the radiator and then again when I hit the floor! I was taken in, in the early hours of the morning and taken to A&E first to get patched up and a bed arranged, then up to the emergency ward. By late morning I had this strange visitor, bearing in mind I was concussed (I'd spit my head open) and dozing off all the time. All I can remember was her saying 'nurse', 'few questions' and every so often 'Patricia?' when she was trying to waken me. After she left I remembered one or two of the questions. They were the same as the claim form. I'm convinced she was an Atos nurse, but I'm not sure. The nurses checked at reception desk, no name was given. Nobody remembers seeing her.The social work at the Council said she wasn't one of theirs. Whoever she was, how the hell did she know I was in the hospital? Maybe I was hullicinating. I hope so because this can only end badly otherwise.

I haven't heard from them yet but when I do I'll let you know the result.

• Posted

As you say, you did have a bump or two on the head, but how odd.   I hope it comes to light soon, who it was I mean, I doubt if you can remember what you said to her anyway. x
  • Posted

I have my assessment on Tuesday. I use a wheelchair outdoors and a frame indoors. I can't go out on my own as I'm unable to propel myself because of back pain as a result of back surgery 11 years ago. I lost confidence so even if I could propel myself I would freak just the thought of going out on my own. I don't even answer the phone if I don't recognise the number. The heading planning a journey apply to me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.