Doseages right or wrong?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I take 225mg at 8am and 225mg At 8 pm is this safe to do? Not helping me very much can i increase?? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stanley

?I assume that your GP has given you scripts for the current amount you are taking of 500mg total daily. It is only safe to go up by 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night total 600mg daily. This is a very high dose you take currently and if it is not helping you you need to talk to your GP again. Please do not increase without your GP being involved. This is a very hard hitting drug with numerous side effects. The longer you take it it can cause damage to internal organs and brain. May I ask what condition you have been prescribed this for and how long you have been taking it? I was put on this drug 10 months ago for neuropathic pain and, yes, it works for me but I do not want to stay on it and from what I have read and researched it is a very difficult med to come off with some saying it is as difficult as coming off heroin. Unfortunately our GP's do not seem to advise us of these things when they give it to us. Please do talk with your Doctor and ask a lot of questions before you consider upping your dose. Let us know how you get on and I wish you well soon

• Posted

I have osteo arthritus in my lumbar spine, fibromralgia, achillies tendonitus, panic attacks and anxiety, depression. Suffer with cronic pain all day every day, but nothing seems to work, i also take 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening of longtec morphine. Thanks for answering. X
    • Posted

What other drugs have you been able to try? Amitriptyline, Gabapenten?? It does take about 3 to 6 weeks for you to feel any changes with these sort of medications.

?Pregabalin really is the last line of defence with ailments such as yours and if this is not working I don't really know what to suggest. Does the morphine help you at all?  A good chat with your GP is certainly in order.

I do hope that 2017 is the year that you get the help you need and you start to feel better.

• Posted

Amitriptyline, gabapentin, tramadol all tried and not worked, been on pergabalin for about 6 weeks, yes morphine helps immensley for my back and i know if im later with a dose. Just fed up hurting all the time pain clinic is the next step i think, happy new year and hope is good for x
    • Posted

I have been through the same progression but have yet to try morphine patches. I have severe osteoporosis and part of my spine has crumbled - the three low vertabra to which the sciatic and sensory nerves are attached have just fallen to bits trapping those nerves. The pain is indescribeable and only the Pregablin has worked. I aso have inflammatory and osteo Arthritis which causes a different kind of pain that I can just about cope with. The lumbar pain I get because of the collapse of vertabra is again a different kind of pain. I can only stand for about 10 mins before the pain overwhelms me and then I have to sit for about 5-8 mins to allow the pain to subside. So, I seem to live my daily life in 10 minute segments but at least I can get things done inbetween. I'm just unsure that one morphine patch would deal with both the trapped sciatic nerve on my left side and the lumbar pain as well in middle lower back. I am also on 20mg/500mg Dihidracodeine/Paracetemol which I take 3 or 4 times a day which was originally given for the Arthritis. Maybe the Pain Clinic will have some answers or techniques to help us....I will research what they offer and let you know what I find if you like? In the meatime I still plan to come off Pregablin gradually and hope that the sciatic pain does not return. As you have only been on Pregab for 6 weeks it may be possible for you to come off it without too many withdrawal symptoms, especially as it does not appear to be helping your pain. But that is up to you of course. Onward and Upward........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.