Bunion-Foot swelling after surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had bunion surgery 2 months ago and just got my cast off last week. I am experiencing a lot swelling just from a little walking around and standing for awhile. Is this common? How long will this last?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The swelling is normal and can laat for several months. Try and elevate your foot aa much as possible.
  • Posted

I completely agree I am post op a little over three months and still experience swelling. I have been told swelling can last up to a year! I can't wait until I can truly embrace my bunion free foot I'm far from it right now, but each week does get better and better.

• Posted

Hello there! Happy New Year, wherever you are in the world :-). I had both bunions removed Mid-october, so I'm about 12 weeks post operation. I, like you, have experienced swelling when standing on my feet for long periods, but I have to say that they are getting much better and I now see an improvement almost daily. Initially, after the 6weeks post op check, I couldn't get any shoes on so I was wearing the podalux shoes, but after another 2weeks, I could put a pair of my flat, plimsoll type shoes on (not great because they're more for summer, but I made do). Last week, I could put my trainers on (more comfortable, but again, but not the most fashionable :-D). Because I do still have slightly swollen feet, I decided to buy some boots to see me through the winter. I think that by the spring, so 5 - 6 months post operation, they should be pretty good.

Your foot has been through quite a trauma, so put it up as much as you can. It's early days for all of us, but we will have lovely feet for the summer. I was told that it could take up to a year (!) for my feet to be right. Patience is a virtue :-) :-). Take care and put your feet up :-).

• Posted

Hi Pandora today after 17 days after the operation I walked and went out

today my toes are very swollen

seeing consultant tomorrow I am very scared!,,will see what he says

• Posted

Elevate foot. Swelling should go down. I elevate my foot anytime I sit or lie down. 24 hours a day. The more time your foot is elevated the better it will heal the 1st 6 weeks. It keeps the swelling down.
  • Posted

Hi everyone!

I am 3wks post op bunionectomy & had one plate fitted 2screws & on spin!

Am worried about having noticed a few blisters on my toes? Has anyone every had water like blisters on toes after this surgery?

My foot gets a little swollen after been in. Y feet for around half an hour at a time, but goes down if I lay down & elevate it!

• Posted

I am replying because I want to follow your post. Please keep posting along the way. I also have a plate with multiple screws plus two other procedures on other toes and am having a hard time so far. I am only on Day 10. It has been nothing short of a demoralizing, painful struggle so far, with yesterday being my only "good" day to date. I guess I should feel lucky I have one good day so early.

Please post your progress if you don't mind. Sorry i can't be of help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.