shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone please confirm by what I am about to say .. I was diagnosed on Fri as having shingles .. never had before ...but I have no rash symptoms are .. swelling on the back of head lumps on the back of head right side tender to touch .. headache. Itchy scalp. . Right side of my neck tender ,, tired .. and right ear lobe swelling n itchy ...please can anyone help as doctors closed till Tues

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you were diagnosed with Shingles, I'd tend to believe that. You don't always get a huge rash. I had only a couple of very minor, tiny bumps on my back. Later I had a more typical rash of 4 vessicles on my chest. The itching, fatigure, swelling sure wound like it.

Rest as much as possible, let your body heal. Definitely see the doctor ASAP. There anti-virals which can decrease the spread and symptoms if given within 72 hours of the onset. When did this all start, days or weeks before the symptoms? Did they give you a prescription such as Valtrex? If this JUST started, I'd consider getting in today to a walk-in clinic (not ER, this is not an emergency) and see if they concur with the diagnosis and can get you on the anti-viral. If you're past the timeframe (like I was) at least they may start you on the Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica to help with the healing and pain. I have to be honest, this may be a long haul, be patient, be good to yourself and get another appointment as soon as you can.

• Posted

Hi baby I went to the doctor Friday just gone 29th she said that's what she thought ... my only concern is my right ear is slowly swelling and the pain is horrendous never having it I am waiting for spot but none just lumps in my head which are sore to touch and my neck glands swelling she has put me on anti viral x

• Posted

It's good you're on the ant-virals. As far as the lumps, bumps, rash, everyone is different, you may get more or this may be all you get. Some people don't get any rash at all, but it's still shingles.  If you can, read through some of the other posts in the Shingles forum and listen to the video at the beginning. You'll learn a lot, but sorry you're now part of the group.

I'm new here, just found these terrific people last month when I started my shingles, and both they and all the other posts have been extremely helpful. Some may not be specific to you, but you'll learn something. I've learned so much, but I was also lucky that I had a background in healthcare, working as a medical secretary so when I came across my technical articles on line, I could decipher them. Besides from reading here, you can go to Mayo's website or other good medical websites, but I found dealing with others who have been through it was more informative.

Unfortunately, you'll also have to learn patience and ways to deal with the pain and/or ithing. Some use heat, others cold, the meds I mentioned help, so consider talking to your doctor about them (Neurontin and Lyrica). In theory, if your case was caught quickly enough, you'll recover more quickly than others. But it's so hard to diagnose, I hope you caught the symptoms early enough.

Rest, try and find ANYTHING to take your mind off the pain or discomfort, movies, books, going online, talking to someone etc. When mine was the worst, all I could do was pace and take slow breaths. Hang in there.

• Posted

Pauline,

I am sorry, but my internet provider is sketchy and my connection was lost. I wish I could have answered you more quickly.

Are you on Antivirals and analgesics, currently?

Do you have severe pain?

Are you taking anything for the itching?

Cool compresses or ice wrapped in a towel works to decrease the itching.

What Medical Diseases do you have?

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.