When I blackout from drink I forget who/where I am

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good afternoon

Was just looking for some advice on something that's been scaring me a lot recently.

Let me start by saying I'm not at all new to drinking. I'm 21 years old and have been binge drinking 1/2 times a week since I was 16/17, which has increased to about 3 times a week since September due to university. I am also no stranger to blacking out, with it occurring around half of the times I drink.

However, recently things have got bad. When I blackout, rather than the usual 'I forgot what happened last night' antics, I'm actually forgetting who I am and who I've been with. This has happened on three occasions to date.

For example, the first time, after being out clubbing, I turned to the girl that I had been with all night and asked her who the girl was that I had been dancing with all night. Obviously, it was her, and I realised this after 5 minutes of confusion. While I was drunk on this night, I remember most of it quite clearly.

The second time, I was a bit more drunk, and while on the phone to my mother I completely forgot who she was.

The third time occurred last night, where I walked from one room to another with someone but then forgot how I had got there.

Obviously I am terrified and google searches are just telling me about the more general forgetfulness with drinking. I'm also worried it could be something to do with drugs, which I have experimented with but don't do very regularly (to clarify, on the nights in question I was just drinking).

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this and does anyone have any advice? My mind is going crazy thinking I have early onset dementia or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good Afternoon, Tom.

Make your New Year really HAPPY ! Give up alcohol.

You are a young man... do you want A LIFE ? I think we all do.

Don't let booze rule you.

I wish you well.

I have stopped drinking, today... again. I am 61.

I feel ill.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

That's an effect that alcohol has for some people that drink, especially for bingers. It's thought that the volume of alcohol consumed causes a type of steroid to be released in the brain, affecting certain types of memory cells in the hippocampus.

This would be a good time to get control of the drinking, Tom. There's a way of using a certain medication, it's called The Sinclair Method (TSM). Now, if you can just cut off drinking or use willpower to moderate and stop yourself from overdrinking, so much the better. This generally isn't how it goes for binge drinkers, as alcohol also numbs the faculties that lend to that type of control, so they usually continue drinking to the memory blackout state. TSM can help you reduce or eliminate your drinking, as it works on a part of the brain that holds alcohol in high regard. That part of the brain is literally what "drives you to drink". 

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

This is what I used on my daily drinking addiction and it worked quite well for me. I'd suggest you check it out and keep it in mind as a "Plan B" if using willpower to manage your alcohol consumption doesn't do the trick.

• Posted

You have Alcohol Use Disorder, Tom. Have a look at the link that ADEfree gave you. Using that method now will save you a LOT of hardship in the future. Get it resolved now before you suffer massive losses in your life like many of the people here have.
  • Posted

In conjunction with what ADE has said about binge drinkers, this is fairly typical.

Particularly in young people (students) , who are often not daily drinkers, but go out on a bender, consume huge quantities, that overwhelm the brain and effectively cause it to shut down. Young people have not built up the tolerance of that of older people, coupled with a necessity to neck it, is a recipe for disaster.

The general forgetfulness comes from long term drinkers. Alcohol washes out the vitamins from our body and then drinkers often don't eat well, getting all of their calories from alcohol, which doubles up the problem. It is very important not to forgo food when drinking.

Too early for dementia. Alcohol doesn't actually cause dementia. It can bring on conditions that have symptoms similar to it and it can also increase the chances of getting it, as well as alcohol brain atrophy. Eating well or (if you won't eat well) taking thiamine should protect you from most of this. People who develpo any of this, can usually see a reversal if they manange to abstain for long enough and return to a healthy lifestyle, much like giving up smoking.

So, for the short term problems, slow your drinking down, keep off the shorts if you can't hande them. Don't build up long term problems by nipping it in the bud, before the drinkng becomes habit forming and is much more difficult to return to a safe level.

• Posted

So basically the solution is to lay off the drink for a month or too and then be careful with the amounts I drink after this?

Being a student, a lot of social situations involve alcohol, and so it would be difficult to cut it out entirely, however given that there is damage I realise I will need to be careful.

Thanks a lot for all of the help

• Posted

Tom I can't see where anyone has said you've got to lay off the drink for a month or two then drink carefully.

you've been given some excellent ad

vice, one from Paul Turner who is a professional, and both good advice from two knowledgable forum members ADE and RHGB.

All I would add, is at only 21, don't throw your life away for the sake of having cheap shots or shorts. You're at uni for what 3/4 years tops? Yes we know a lot of social situations as a student  involve alcohol.

It will be far easier to address your drinking problem sooner, rather than later. You have AUD. Whether you explore the links on TSM or advice from RHGB is entirely your choice. 

Theres no reason why, by following TSM, you can't successfully enjoy controlled drinking. I was a heavy binge drinker years ago, I'd tell myself so many times that I hadn't got a problem as I didn't drink daily. If you keeping telling yourself enough times you start to believe it.

Alcohol creeps up on you, it's secret and clever. I hope you deal with it and not 10/15 years down the line

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.