humira side effect

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI and Happy New year everyone!

I was diagnosed the end of May and started on Methrotrexate/  unable to tolerate the 10mg dose so lowered to 7.5 mg and humira injection started .  I have had 2 doses/  no problem after initial dose and then about 4 days after 2nd dose I started with heart palpitations.  Initially just at night but then worse and during daytime hrs.  Also had 2 episodes of lightheadedness/ sweating last week.  Md stopped humira and I will see her on Tues.   I am 69 yrs old and starting to think that my age adds to more freq. side effects.   I have read that also.   Can't take plaquenil b/c of eye disease. Also have crohns.  so can't take NSAIDS.  A bit discouraged

Wondering if anyone else had an intolerance to biologic.  Anyway  may 2017 be a better year for all of us

Gloriaconfused

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Happy new year n sending gentle hugs , I am 65 and they have me on plaquenil and I am worried bout my eyes also but I see the doctor once a year , I have been having stomach problems ;((( I do hot yoga five times a week n this really helps me , might want to look into it ,,,fell better
    • Posted

Thanks,   I was going to look into yoga at a senior center near us.  I have an intolerance to heat and / sore wrists and ankles so not sure how it will go but I am willing to try 

• Posted

I was fine on Humira for 18 months however my general health

suffered. Chest infections loss of voice and finally repeated UTI

Which resulted in being hospitalised with nephritis.

I was taken off the humera but still kept taking the 25mg MTX

injection weekly.

I have been on a few treatments since then but not found any

Stabilising treatment

You don't say if you are on injections or oral MTX if it's oral ask

about injections they are easy to do.

I was 55 when I was on that so I don't think it's to do with age

I have since had 3 other biological not found one that works yet.

Like you I have had bowel problems even had some stomach and bowel removed so no more NSAIDS

• Posted

I have been taking oral MTX and even 10mg caused severe diarrhea and since I have crohns I was afraid to aggravate that.    Only 2 doses of humira and already sick with resp infection.  Reading the side effects with the drug packaging is very stressful.  

Thanks for your response : )

• Posted

I was the same taking it orally and still not under control

The way the RA clinic explained it was that if you inject it you get 100% of the dose so they can sometimes try you on a lower dose

When you take tablets you only get about 75% of the dose

I was like you for 3 days after MTX I would be vomiting diahorria

All the digestive problems has resulted in loosing part of my

stomach due to ulcers and part of my small and large bowel

I can no longer take anti inflamitory especially

It is very stressful and you question if the cure is worse than the deciese it's self sometime.

I I also find dealing with stressful situations very daunting.

With the Humira I seemed to constantly have sore throats

larengytis chest infections despite having flu injections.

But steroids lower your immune system too.among other things.

When I do have steroids they are given in the bottom if you have a few joints sore.

But I have has separate ones in my knees, ankles and wrist

Not pleasant but effective if you can't tolerate NSAIDS

• Posted

It sounds like  you have had a rough time of it also.   Are you still taking MTX injections?    You are right about wondering if the medication is worse than  the disease itself.     I see the GI doc tomorrow.  Her nurse told me that she is thinking of an infusion now.    I could tell the  Humira was helping with the ankle and finger joints so it's disappointing that I had the side effect so quickly.     Trial and error with the meds is just how it seems to go with everyone       I hope we can find something that works for me soon.     Best wishes to you in the New year

• Posted

Yes still taking MTX injections every Thursday night 25 mg

Have been for 9 yrs I take it Thursday because I don't work friday

And for about 72 hours after the injection my health and stamina

Is questionable.

Symptoms range from Midlands nausea and head aches to

Vomiting, diahorria and migraines.

Not all the time but unpredictable.which is why I changed my

working week to mon- ukot to accommodate it.

Not everyone understands the unseen problems this deciese

causes

• Posted

Look for chair yoga , I heard you still get all the benefit, sending gentle hugs 
    • Posted

Tai Chi also helps

Although the joints hurt we still need to keep the muscles as

healthy as possible to support those joins.

Baby steps most of the time but I find swimming helps as

Long as getting dressed and undressed quite a few times a day is possible. We have to pick our battles sometimes

• Posted

I do hope to go to Tai Chi and yoga and even water aerobics if I ever get over this cold and palpitations.  Going to the primary doc later today.  Saw gastroentologist yesterday. She does not believe that humira is causing palpitations so back to reg MD.  She wants humira resumed after my cold is gone and I have been seen by other MD..   She advised cortisone cream to the area of injection to help with itch and redness as needed   

Can be quite discouraging but we just have to 'hang in there'  as my Mom used to say : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.