4th Metatarsal Stress Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering with Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot since doing a charity walk throughout March 2016. This didn't improve but I plodded on because I thought it would go. It didn't go and I started noticing discomfort in the front of the same foot. In Sept 2016 whilst out walking, the pain in the front suddenly became unbearable and I could hardly put any weight on it. By this time I was on a waiting list to see a podiatrist for the heel pain so I hung in there. My foot was very swollen across the front and even though I tried, walking my dog was not easy. I eventually saw the Podiatrist who said I may have a stress fracture and he requested that my GP send me for an xray and said I should rest it and he gave me physio exercises. The xray was done in November and this immediately flagged up a bone spur in my heel and what looked like a stress fracture in my 4th metarsal. My GP then requested an MRI and because I am 58 and had hysterectomy 11 years ago, a Bone Density scan. An appointment was also made for me to see an Orthopeadic consultant. All 3 appointments came up in in Dec 2016 with the final one being the Ortho consultation. The pain in the front of my foot was so much better by December and I was convinced that all would be fine and that I could continue walking my dog. Not so, the MRI done on 22.12 confirmed an only particially healed stress fracture and ive been told that there are 2 problems going on and that they need to treat the acute one first so I'm now in an aircast boot which they hope will heal both the stress fracture and the Plantar Fasciitis. I've got to rest and elevate the foot as much as possible and wear the boot when walking. As often happens, when you've been told something like this, you don't ask the right questions and now I can't walk my Labrador and I'm having to rely on others to take her out and I'm not seeing the Ortho Consultant untill the 25th March. Can anyone tell me what is a reasonable time to rest up and wear boot and what about driving a car? I've done 10 days in the boot and apart from to drive myself home from hospital, I've not been behind the wheel. I'm usually a very active person and I'm finding this difficult. I also need to know how far is acceptable to walk in an aircast boot. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is all so difficult. Been there done that with fifth metatarsal stress fracture.I am almost 68.  Was NWB for 4 weeks then my ortho and I decided to insert a screw which makes healing process go much faster. She also sent me a bone stimulator and I purchased a knee scooter on Craig's list. I am afraid I don't know how long this takes without surgery. Once I had surgery I was 4 weeks off, 4 in walking boot then good to ride my horse and walk dogs. I wish I'd had surgery right away. It was easy and painless. You must be in Canada or UK? In the US with insurance there is no wait list to see physician. I do believe in ortho docs who specialize in feet and ankles over podiatrists. That is just me. take care. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to me, its much appreciated. Surgery was mentioned when i saw Orthopeadic consultant but its a last resort. Im in the UK and having to do this through our NHS which takes time. Have got to have another xray when i see the consultant in March but in the meantime, I'm just going to have be patient and unfortunately its not my strong point! Thanks again.

• Posted

Gosh. Iwas for government health care in US but now not so sure. I can not believe you have to wait until March! We see a physician in a few days then get on with the show. Insurance here is expensive if not offered through work. I wish you well.
    • Posted

Hi Sandi

No the appointment in March is the 3 month follow up. I had my first ortho appoint in December. Thanks again and for your kind wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.