Magnet Technology

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone, first post to this forum. Diagnosed with MD around 2 years ago. Total loss of hearing in left ear, severe tinnitus and vertigo episodes around every 2 weeks. Vertigo episodes are getting worse and more severe. I have been reading about using magnetic jewelry to combat dizziness. Has anyone had any luck with this technology? 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It is just a theory, but if they were to be of any real effectiveness, I would think they would need to be bigger and more powerful than what they put out now. It sounds like you could try vestibular rehab therapy. You need to start retraining the brain to deal with all the changes. It has made a real difference in my MD
  • Posted

I've never come across this treatment. How does it work?/what is the theory behind it?

So sorry to hear that your MD symptoms are getting worse. What is your current treatment regimen?

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

I am NOT recommending this, but only offer as my experience. When the hearing in my left ear continued to degrade, I got a hearing aid for the right ear which was also degrading. I've not had an episode since. Maybe it's just me, but hearing better seems to help my balance which was related to a trigger event.

• Posted

It is true that magnetic stimulation of some sort may help the dizziness in some circumstances, but this will not prevent the MD from getting worse.  What treatment options have you discussed with your physicians?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi Dr, Thank you so much for your interest. I understand almost all treatments, diets, devices, etc. provide only temporary relief from MD symptoms. The hearing loss and tinnitus I have pales in comparison to the vertigo episodes. Vertigo attacks are about every 2 weeks and last 12 to 24 hrs. My treatments include hearing aides, low salt diet, vitamins, exercise. No medication unless I have a vertigo attack. I take a sleeping aid to combat the tinnitus. My tests have been MRI's, cat scans, extensive blood work, eye movement tests, etc.  all negative.

Seriosly thinking of the steroid shots to help with the vertigo. Will not consider Gentamycin shots at this time. Any thoughts, idea's would be most appreciative.

Thank  you

• Posted

The steroid shots (intratympanic injection) will be a good idea.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Love this forum! Real people with same issue's. Learned of patient in my area that is trying magnets to help with dizziness. She is having very good results. Went on line here in US and there is substantial information regarding this health aid. Is this forum based in Europe?

I understand they're is no cure, been told many times by more than 6 doctors I have seen. My goal is get any information to help me function and have a life. I personally have had cat scans, MRI's, extensive blood work, many tests to measure eye movements, etc. All negative. Currently have a tube in my bad ear that my doctor feels should stay. I have the best hearing aids available. Tinnitus is so loud they do not help. I am on a no salt diet, exercise and take no medications except when I get sick. My vertigo last's 12 to 24 hrs every time.

Have not tried steroid shots, thinking very seriously about doing this. I have heard so many different patient results that concern me. The last thing I want is to make my symptoms worse. 

Do most of you have hereditary history of ear problems? I do.

I am 64 and retired. I have my own business but that is on hold because of this terrible illness. 

Thank you all for your input, very helpful and insiteful.

• Posted

HI Daniel,

I am one who failed conservative treatments for my severe MD.  However I got remarkable results from a series of intratympanic steroid injection.  It gradually reduced the intensity and duration of my vertigo, dizziness and imbalance, and then completely eradicated it.  It did NOT restore any hearing loss or improve the tinnitus in my bad ear.  I felt like I'd been given a new lease on life for 3 magnificent months, until I caught the flu, sinusitis and ultimately pneumonia.  During that time my ear became full again, and my tinnitus became much worse, and as I recovered from the upper respiratory illnesses, my rotational vertigo returned.  Whether it was the flu that triggered it, or if the injections last me for 3 months, I'll never know.  But I'm currently undergoing a second series and after 2 injections, I'm feeling much better.  For me, it's the way to go.  And I feel safe because multiple injections can do no harm to the inner ear, and they do not bring about more hearing loss, as is the case with Gentamycin.  

Wishing you the very best,

J-

• Posted

Hi J, thanks for your response. It sounds like you and have about the same symptoms. When where you diagnosed with MD? I can tolerate the tinnitus most of the time and the hearing loss. The vertigo is the killer and I am feeling desperate to try anything that will help. My ENT doctor has been anxious to give me the steroid injections so I think I will give it a try. 

I really appreciate your input and experience. I will let you know how I make out.

Also wishing you the very best!!

• Posted

I was diagnosed in July 2015.  My first episode happened at the movies, of all places!  Out of nowhere, I completely lost the hearing in my right ear, and staggered out of there like I was drunk — my husband having to nearly carry me until we reached the car.  After that first episode, the frequency, duration, and intensity of the vertigo attacks ramped up very, very quickly, as did the hearing loss and tinnitus.  And, in between attacks, the dizziness, nausea, loss of balance, and bizzare sensations, became just as incapacitating. 

You mentioned that you have hearing aids.  Has your hearing reached a steady state, so that you could be fitted properly?  While I've lost most of my hearing on that side, it still fluctuates wildly, along with the tinnitus.  I gave a pair of top of the line hearing aids a one month try, but the audiologist became very frustrated with me, as the settings were fine for a few days, and then they would be useless.  My otolaringologist has recommended that wait it out until I reach some point of stability, but only God knows when that's going to be.  Honestly, I can't imagine how any hearing aid will help, with this degree of tinnitus.  Although, I have read that many of the newest hearing aids have anti-tinnitus programs are very good.

I agree with you:  The hearing loss and tinnitus are manageable a good part of the time, but the vertigo is simply soul-destroying.  To live with that on a regular basis, is simply too much to ask of a person. 

All the best,

J-

• Posted

Hi J, my hearing aids are state of the art. The can be programed to what ever hearing loss you have. You're right about having very loud tinnitus, even though the hearing aids offer noise masking, the noise produced in the hearing aid is so loud it is not practical. I wear them only when I know I will need help in group conversations. 

I have pusitile tinnitus. Nights are the worst and sleep is always a challenge. I was also diagnosed in 2015.

Do you take any medications? Do you have a tube in your bad ear? I do and think it helps with the fluid build-up. 

I have decided to try the steroid shots to fight the vertigo. I am desperate to try most anything right now. My life is on hold right now until I find some relief.

I know what you mean about your hearing fluctuating all over the place. I had the same problem for the first 8 months then I went from bad hearing in the left ear to no hearing. It leveled out about 6 months ago. I have no hearing but am very sensitive to certain noises. 

Let's keep in touch and share any positives we find.

Take care........it's a new year!

D-

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

I do not have a tube in my ear.  I just use the steroid injections, and I always carry rescue meds:  Meclazine, Clonazepam, and Glycopyrrolate.  

Will the tube be used as a port to administer the dexamethasone?  I read some studies where that's how it was administered.

I used to have continual noise sensitivity/hyperaccusis - it's so strange to be both deaf and exquisitely sensitive to noise, at the very same time.  Now, I experience it intermittently.  I don't know if it was reduced as a result  of the injections, or simply as a function of time.  There's no rhyme or reason to how or why it comes and goes.  

I'll be very anxious to hear how your injections go.  Be sure to post!  

Take good care,

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.